Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Measure for Scatter Plot Category

Hello All,

Seems like this has probably been hashed out--and perhaps solved.  I didn't see anything and thought it might be a straightforward Yes/No and perhaps a "here's how."

I have a scatter plot where I use a Column for Details, Measure for the X and Y axis, and cannot for the life of me use a column measure for category.  The bin just doesn't accept it when I drag it over.  It takes a column from the table I'd like to build a measure from but I can't get it to take a measure.Scatter.png

The Details is a column: MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Facility]

X-Axis is a measure: Denominator = IF([DenomVariablesRecCount]= 1 ,AVERAGE(Denominators[Variable_Value]),BLANK())  So it's picked from a slicer.

Y-Axis--same thing: Numerator = AVERAGE(MeasuresData[Variable_Value])

For Category, I've tried a simple: ChartCategory = MINA(MeasureReptRecNoProviders[SystemName])  and no go.  (Note, It's in the same table as the Details column.  If I can put a measure there, I'll pick the category field from a slicer.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Tom,

If I understand your scenario correctly, you'd like to add a measure in the "Details". I'm afraid we can't do that. That's because the "Details" is the context of other measure. What's the result do you expect?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale--I'm looking to add a measure to the Legend bin...that wasn't clear at all..sorry for the confusion 

Right now I've put "bed size" in there which is from the same table as Facility (Details) which sets the context. 

I'd like to use a slicer to select data from one of about 7 different columns--all from the same table as the Details field of Facility.  

Here is an example of How I thought I'd do it but the bin for Legend does not seem to accept a measure.

ChartCategory =
VAR CatToUse = IF(HASONEVALUE(Category[Chart Category]),SelectedValue(Category[Chart Category]),"Bed Size")
Return
IF(CatToUse = "System Name",VALUES(MeasureReptRecNoProviders[SystemName]),VALUES(MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Bed Size]))

Does that help?  Any ideas?

Tom

Hi @ThomasDay,

How about using a calculated column instead of a measure? Can you share a sample? Maybe we can find a solution.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's a good idea.  I've not created a column before...just scalars.  Are you thinking of SelectColumn?  And with SelectColumn, do the relationships from the base table stay in-place when it is executed?  Thanks, Tom

Hi Tom,

If they are all scalars, I think the calculated column could be the best solution. Please give it a try. If you use SELECTCOLUMNS in a measure, that still won't work.

Best Regards,

Dale

@v-jiascu-msft Oh, I get it now...I'll try that.  Am traveling a bit and will report back when I give it a try.  Thank you, Tom

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@v-jiascu-msft Hello Dale, sorry for the tardy reply...was out of the country and off the grid.

• I have created a table which has one column--the category for the chart--created by a dax expression.  This one creates the table as specified:
    ChartCategoryTable = SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Bed Size])

• But I want to have the column contents vary based on a slicer selection...so I tried the code below resulted in the error message:  The expression specified in the query is not a valid table expression.  Perhaps it doesn't allow for dynamic values for the created column...not sure what to do here.
    • The slicer for the table CategorySlicerVals picks from the possible categories for the chart. 

ChartCategoryTable = 
	VAR SelectedChartCategory = IF(HASONEVALUE(CategorySlicerVals[Chart Category]),SelectedValue(CategorySlicerVals[Chart Category]),"Bed Size")
	Return
	Switch (
	True(),
	SelectedChartCategory = "Bed Size",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Bed Size]),
	SelectedChartCategory = "Disprop Share",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Disprop Share]),
	SelectedChartCategory = "Freestanding",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Freestanding]),
	SelectedChartCategory = "Ownership",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Ownership]),
	SelectedChartCategory = "State",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[State]),
	SelectedChartCategory = "Urban-Rural",SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Category", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Urban-Rural]),
	SELECTCOLUMNS(MeasureReptRecNoProviders,"Bed Size", MeasureReptRecNoProviders[Bed Size]))

Any ideas here??

Thanks,

Tom

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.