Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Measure for Calculatng Revenue

hi,

I have a data with fields like below

I need to calculate revenue for Region

for one region, i was trying to do this in power query(like below)

HQAsean Revenue= Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns3", each ([HQRegion] = "ASEAN"))

InboundAseanRevenue= Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns3", each ([HQRegion] <> "ASEAN") and ([Region] = "ASEAN"))

Append this 2 table to get AseanTotal Revenue

and the outcome is fine.

however the data i have is for 27 regions, so practically the above approach is impossible, as i will have to create (27*3=84 queries)

is there any measure or calculated coloumn i can use to get there?

any help would be highly apprecaite

Source.NameUltimateDunsNumberFiscal yearAccountAccountChannelAccountSegmentAccountSubSegmentAccountSectorAccountSubSectorHQAreaHQRegionHQCountryDeliveryAreaDeliveryRegionGCSPDeliveryCountryServiceLineCompetencySubServiceLineTER_PFYTD_USDTER_FYTD_USDTER_FYTD_ConstantRevPlanFYNER_FYTD_ConstantMarginFYTD_ConstantMarginPFYTD_ConstantTER_PFYTD_ConstantPipelineOpen_constantSaleFYTD_constantPipelineWeightedOpen_constantRegionAccount SegmentCustom
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi  @vjnvinod ,

You are correct I included every values in the calculation change the var to the following:

var Delivery_Revenue = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[TER_FYTD_USD]),filter(ALL('Table'[DeliveryRegion],'Table'[HQRegion]),'Table'[DeliveryRegion] = SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[HQRegion]) && 'Table'[HQRegion]<> SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[HQRegion]))))

Should give expected result if not please tell me. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @vjnvinod ,

Why are you make the creation of this calculation on the Query Editor?

If you add the region on a visualization and the the revenue value it will get the total you need. It's not necessary to create a new column on your model.

Also if you want to have this on the query editor you should do a Group By.

Can you share a sample of your data and expected result

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

Why are you make the creation of this calculation on the Query Editor?

to answer this

in my dataset i have

HQ Region , Delivery Region and TER_FYTD_USD(which is revenue)

now if you use HQ Region, you aggregate in the visualization you get HQ revenue

and if you use Deliver region and aggregiate you get Local revenue reported in that region.

Now the logic, what i am trying to build is

HQ Region revenue + Inbound Revenue= my Total Revenue for that region

HQ revenue is easy, filter HQregion (Lets say Africa) and you get the africa HQ revenue

To get Inbound revenue (work delivered in the region on Accounts whose HQ is in other global regions  )of a particular region in my dataset, for example Africa, i need to 

Unselect Africa from HQ region, and select all other region in HQ Region and select only Africa from Delivery region. 
which will give me the inbound revenue
then i will have to sum (HQ Africa revenue+Inbound Africa revenue)

which is not possible with my dataset or might be i need to write some measure to get that

Hi @vjnvinod

Can you provide some sample data with expected output to make your require more clear?

Best Regards,
Kelly

@v-kelly-msft 

here is the sample data and requirement is already there in the thread

UltimateDunsNumberAccountAccountChannelAccountSegmentAccountSubSegmentAccountSectorAccountSubSectorHQAreaHQRegionHQCountryDeliveryAreaDeliveryRegionDeliveryCountryGCSPServiceLineSubServiceLineCompetencyTER_FYTD_USD

856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoIndTIndInd0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoITTTITTITT0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoIntTIntInt0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoGCRTGCRGCR0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoITTCITTITT0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoITTTITTITT729.71087
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificGreater ChinaHong Kong-China GeoGCRTGCRGCR3125.724547
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoPIAPIPI0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoFAAAFAAFAA0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoPASCPASPAS1608.489188
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoBTSTBTSBTS0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaNew Zealand GeoBTSTBTSBTS0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoAudAAudAud3810.075412
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoITTCITTITT-729.71087

Hi @vjnvinod ,

I used the sample data provided by @MFelix ,and see below:

1. Create 2 table containing the distinct category in column [Delivery Region] and [HQ Region],using below dax expression--->{The 2 tables are created to be sliced}

Table 2 = DISTINCT(UNION(DISTINCT('Table'[Delivery Region]),DISTINCT('Table'[HQ Region])))
Table 3 = 'Table 2'

3.Create 2 measures as below:

Measure = 
var a= CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[TER_FYTD_US]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Delivery Region]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Delivery Region])))
var b=CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[TER_FYTD_US]),FILTER('Table','Table'[Delivery Region]<>SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[Delivery Region])&&'Table'[HQ Region]=SELECTEDVALUE('Table 3'[Delivery Region])))
Return
SUMX('Table',a+b)
Measure 2 = var _table=SUMMARIZE('Table','Table'[Delivery Region],'Table'[HQ Region],"_value",[Measure]) return
SUMX(_table,[_value])

Finally you will see:

Annotation 2020-04-24 173634.png

For the related .pbix file,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly

@v-kelly-msft 

Looks like its closer.

can you please replicate this into the last pbix file which Felix has sent.

just wanted to cross check if the numbers are correct

Hi @vjnvinod ,

You don't need to have a new table. I assume that both Regions and Delivery have the same type of data correct? something similar to this:

HQ Region Delivery Region TER_FYTD_US
Africa Europe 1000
Europe America 500
America Africa 200
Africa Africa 500

If you add a new table with the regions without a relationship with other tables you can calculate a measure similar to this one:

Revenue =

var HQ_Region_Revenue = CALCULATE(Table[TER_FYTD_US]);Table[HQ Region] = SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Region]))

var Delivery_Revenue = CALCULATE(Table[TER_FYTD_US]);Table[Delivery] = SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Region]))

Return
HQ_Region_Revenue + Delivery_Revenue

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

not sure if this helps.

but seems like closer, can you share your pbix? so that i can check the numbers?

this is how my sample dataset looks

UltimateDunsNumberAccountAccountChannelAccountSegmentAccountSubSegmentAccountSectorAccountSubSectorHQAreaHQRegionHQCountryDeliveryAreaDeliveryRegionDeliveryCountryGCSPServiceLineSubServiceLineCompetencyTER_FYTD_USD

856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoIndTIndInd0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoITTTITTITT0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoIntTIntInt0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoGCRTGCRGCR0
856350314ABC2CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAmericasLATAM SouthArgentina GeoAmericasCanadaCanada GeoITTCITTITT0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoITTTITTITT729.71087
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificGreater ChinaHong Kong-China GeoGCRTGCRGCR3125.724547
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoPIAPIPI0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoFAAAFAAFAA0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoPASCPASPAS1608.489188
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoBTSTBTSBTS0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificOceaniaNew Zealand GeoBTSTBTSBTS0
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoAudAAudAud3810.075412
758143812BCD1CCReal Estate, Hospitality & ConstructionConstruction & EngineeringAsia-PacificOceaniaAustralia GeoAsia-PacificASEANSingapore GeoITTCITTITT-729.71087

Hi  @vjnvinod ,

Please checlk the PBIX file attach as refered I createda table with unique values for HQRegion and DElivery region then added a measure with the calculation.

I have place also 2 table visualizations from the basic table with Delivery and HQ region calculation to check the values and everything is correct. Please be aware that the name of the columns may have some errors since on our post the names were all together.

Any question please tell me.

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

thanks for this, i evaluted this with my bigger dataset and numbers are not what i am expecting.

your measure is basically adding HQ and Delivery revenue instead of HQ and Inbound Revenue

for instance my take a look at US-East, my revenue should have been =456+5=461M

your measure is resulting into 774M(ie because you are taking the whole delivery region)

i have indicated, as green arrow, how the Inbound revenue will have to be calculate(filter for Deliver region- US-East and also filter for all HQ region except US-East

Capture.PNG

something is not correct
with this measure
var Delivery_Revenue = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[TER_FYTD_USD]),filter(ALL('Table'[DeliveryRegion]),'Table'[DeliveryRegion] = SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[HQRegion])))

Hi  @vjnvinod ,

You are correct I included every values in the calculation change the var to the following:

var Delivery_Revenue = CALCULATE(SUM('Table'[TER_FYTD_USD]),filter(ALL('Table'[DeliveryRegion],'Table'[HQRegion]),'Table'[DeliveryRegion] = SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[HQRegion]) && 'Table'[HQRegion]<> SELECTEDVALUE('Table 2'[HQRegion]))))

Should give expected result if not please tell me. 

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

this is awesome,

is there anyway this could be included within the data itself?

instead of seprate table for region?

because right now i have only Region and total revenue, i need all the other coloumns from the table 1, so that i can create a dashboard with various other fields as well

Hi @vjnvinod ,

The separate table is only for slicer or categorization of the Revenue value purposes not anything else, you can then calculate based on any field using the same logic.

If you use the slicers from the same table you will not be abble to select the values in a slicer in an independent way from the table because you are creating subsets or using the full table.

So you shoud be abble to create the report normally except if you are using this revenue measure all other stays the same.

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

how would i even know, which accounts are contributing to the revenue we measured in the "Table2?

and also if its possible

in that case the only way i can use the table is to have multiple queries built and post that appending each queries to get a master database?

like i was trying to do that in the first thread?

Hi @vjnvinod ,

Measure are based on context meaning that the calculation is based on the values you place in filters, slicers, tables, visualizations and so on.

When you are calculating the measure of the revenue if you add more columns like account the calculations will be remade in order to achieve the desired output, so no need to make new queries just for the account level.

As I refered the table created for the slicer is only to give context if you look at the coding I'm comparing the value in the slicer with the values in the HQ and Delivery region so since HQ and Delivery region are related with the accounts, if you place the accounts on a visualization the result will appear correctly.

If I'm not explaining my self clearly can you provide an example with data and expected output so I can see what is working or not?

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

thanks Felix for clarifying

what i am trying to do is 

creating a scatter plot visual and a drill through functionality in the scatter plot which will allow users to see which are the account contributing to the revenue we have calculated using that table 2

see below an example i created when with the first table but i was not able to calculate the Actual revenue(which you have claculated using some DAX)

let me know if this is possible, can you share pbix showing this? many thanks

Capture.PNG

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

Hi Felix,

are you able to help me on that? if yes, can you share me the pbix, so that i can take a look at it

or is it too dificult too achieve?

let  me know

Hi @vjnvinod ,

Not really sure if this is what you need but try iot out, f not please tell me expected result and how are you building the scatter and the drill down visualization.

Regards

Miguel Félix

vjnvinod
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@MFelix 

thank you it resolved the issue

not sure why i am not able to accept it as solution, it just throwing up some error, while accepting your post as solution to this thread

HI @vjnvinod ,

I have accepted the answer on your behalf. believe is the one I have marked if not please tell me.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.