Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

scottward626
Frequent Visitor

Measure displaying incorrect total when using discounts

Hi there,

Having trouble with the following table. The total for the Revenue (After Discount) and Discount Amount aren’t adding up correctly. Tried a few things now and am aware that totals and measures don’t quite work this way.

This is the problem.
Screenshot_8.png

As you can see the totals for After Discount and Discount Amount don't add up. (But they do match the Revenue total)

These are the measures I’m using:

REVENUE is

m_Revenue =

SUM(order_job[price])

REVENUE AFTER DISCOUNT

m_REVENUE (After Discount) = [m_REVENUE] - ([m_REVENUE] * SUMX(VALUES(Credit_logs[Discount %]),(Credit_logs[Discount %] /100)))

DISCOUNT AMOUNT

m_revenue (Amount discounted per credit rate) = [m_REVENUE] * SUMX(VALUES(Credit_logs[Discount %]), (Credit_logs[Discount %] /100))

This is the data the measures are referring too.

Credit_Log table

Screenshot_9.png

Order Table:
Screenshot_10.pngScreenshot_11.png

62797 doesn’t have a discount (use credit) so it doesn’t appear in credit_Logs, and won't have a discount applied. It does, however, appear in the Orders table as its a normal sale. This seems to be where the measure falls apart.

If I display rows that don't have a discount ONLY the total will be correct. Same if I display rows that all use the same discount amount. But as soon as it has more than 1 various discount it displays the incorrect total.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@scottward626 

You may try a similar way as shown here.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft Thank you for your help, much appreciated.
I'm not quite sure I understand how the suggested solution of using summarise works? I gave it a shot but I'm seeing the results I would hope for. Maybe I'm just not understanding how the solution works, can you explain?

From what I can gather, 
- summarize method is summarising a table by grouping its column. But in this case, I'm grabbing the discount amount from a calculation of two different tables. which will not work using summarise.

- if I'm wrong and summarise is actually able to give us the result, where should divide go in the new measure?

Thanks again, really appreciate the assistance

Hey Team, wondering if anyone had any suggestions here? Thanks, I'm really stuck 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.