Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SteveCarter1
Advocate II
Advocate II

Measure based on value of another measure at start of financial year

I'm struggling with a specific need to show the average trend needed between start of financial year to end of financial year to reach client target. The problem I have is it does not start at zero. The target for clients is based on the pre-existing total number of clients we already have.

I have Financial Year targets for number of clients and a transaction table recording clients.

I successfully created the following measures:

- Show the sum of the financial year target (blue line top)

- Show cumulative total over all of time of clients (orange line)

- Show how many clients they need to add at that point in time to reach target (yellow line)

- Problem measure - shows how many new total clients they need to be at to acheive target (pink/purple line)

But I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to show the red line - average number of new clients needed to hit target - and this is the hard part for me - based on the number of clients at the start of the selected financial year, which is a measure in itself.

The closest I get is the pink/purple line - that measure bases its calculation on the number of clients, not at the start of the FY but at the point in time being calculated, if that makes sense?

SteveCarter1_5-1630369866900.png

I have a feeling I'm close but just can't see it.

Any advice would be great!

I have a sample pbix file and excel file. Not sure how to attach those? So I'll try to show it here:

Excel tabs:

Targets: 

SteveCarter1_2-1630368732447.png

Client data:

SteveCarter1_3-1630368767147.png

In My manually created Master Calendar table, I have created a DAX calculated column showing the fraction of that financial year:

(it's cludgy I know. Please don't judge. I was playing around with various calcs and just built it up)

FYTDFRAC = 
VAR __startThisYear = YEAR(DATEADD('Master Calendar'[Date],-6,MONTH))
VAR __startFYDate = IF(ISBLANK(__startThisYear),BLANK(),DATE(__startThisYear,06,30))
VAR __endThisYear = IF(ISBLANK(YEAR(DATEADD('Master Calendar'[Date],6,MONTH))),YEAR('Master Calendar'[Date]),YEAR(DATEADD('Master Calendar'[Date],6,MONTH)))
VAR __EndFYDate = DATE(__endThisYear, 06, 30)
VAR __daysInYear = DATEDIFF(__startFYDate, __EndFYDate,DAY)
VAR __daysInThisYear = DATEDIFF(__startFYDate,'Master Calendar'[Date],DAY)
RETURN
__daysInThisYear / __daysInYear

So what I get in my master calendar is this (using table visual to make it easier to display):

SteveCarter1_4-1630369613888.png

My Clients over all time measure is:

Clients All Time = 
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT('Client Data'[Client Id]),
    ALL('Master Calendar'),
    DATESBETWEEN('Master Calendar'[Date],FIRSTDATE(ALL('Master Calendar'[Date])),MAX('Master Calendar'[Date]))
)

My current, wrong measure to try to show number of new clients ageraged over the year to reach target is:

FYTD Total Clients Needed = 
                    (SUM(Targets[Target]) - [Clients All Time])
                    MAX('Master Calendar'[FYTDFRAC])
                    +
                    [Clients All Time]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SteveCarter1 , based on what I got so far, You can use closingbalanceyear

Create a date based on the FY

Date = Date(right([FY],4) ,6,30) // Target stored at the last day of year

closingbalanceyear(sum(Table[Target]), Date[Date], "6/30")  // Date table and last date of year. same target every day

Also refer

Distributing/Allocating the Yearly Target(Convert to Daily Target): Measure ( Daily/YTD): Magic of CLOSINGBALANCEYEAR With TOTALYTD/DATESYTD: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Distributing-Allocating-the-Yearly-Target-C...

closingbalancemonth, closingbalancequarter -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQ9UV37LOU

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@SteveCarter1 , based on what I got so far, You can use closingbalanceyear

Create a date based on the FY

Date = Date(right([FY],4) ,6,30) // Target stored at the last day of year

closingbalanceyear(sum(Table[Target]), Date[Date], "6/30")  // Date table and last date of year. same target every day

Also refer

Distributing/Allocating the Yearly Target(Convert to Daily Target): Measure ( Daily/YTD): Magic of CLOSINGBALANCEYEAR With TOTALYTD/DATESYTD: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Distributing-Allocating-the-Yearly-Target-C...

closingbalancemonth, closingbalancequarter -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPQ9UV37LOU

Thanks! You put me in the right direction. Didn't know about opening and closing balance functions.

My solution which works is:

FYTD Total Clients Needed = 
 VAR __startCount = OPENINGBALANCEYEAR([Clients All Time],'Master Calendar'[Date],"30/06")
 RETURN
   (SUM(Targets[Target]) - __startCount)
   MAX('Master Calendar'[FYTDFRAC])
   +
   __startCount

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.