Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JoseQ
Frequent Visitor

Measure TOTALQTD not working

I have two tables:

• 1. Sales by product ID
  • 2. Time 

There's a relationship between these two tables where cardinality is many to one (*:1) and cros filter direction is both. The field key is the date on both tables.

I've just created 3 measures: Year-to-date, Month-to-date and Quarter-to-date however the last one isn't working properly. QTD is showing the same values as MTD measure.

I tried both syntaxis por QTD measure both it yielded the same result.

Syntaxis 1: QTD Sales income = TOTALQTD(SUM(SalesbyProd[Sales income]),DATESQTD('Time'[Date])

Syntaxis 2: QTD Sales income = CALCULATE(TOTALQTD(SUM(SalesbyProd[Sales income]),DATESQTD('Time'[Date]),ALL('Time'[Date])))

Help please.

8 REPLIES 8
jstorm
Resolver III
Resolver III

Is your sales data only being recorded once per quarter?  For example,

3/1 $1000

6/1 $2000

9/1 $1500

12/1 $1000

Try putting your data into a table visualization without any measures to see if there are any inconsitencies or some underlying logic you are not considering.

JoseQ
Frequent Visitor

My sales data is being recorder daily.

However my time table is comprised of difrente time scales: daily, weekly, monthly, bimestraly, quarterly, triannually and semestraly...

This for example:

[CONFIDENTIAL INFO.]

Set up a table visualization with Time[Month], Time[Quarter], Time[Year], and your YTD, MTD, QTD measures.  Check to see if there are problems there and post a screenshot.  Also, check your columns in Time and Sales to be sure they are the right data type.

JoseQ
Frequent Visitor

Pleaes take a look.

I see many inconsistencies within the data table:

• May and June shouldn't have any values on 2020 QTD Sales Income measure (last sales record is on 26th april).
  • May thru December should have any values on 2020 YTD Sales Income measure (lasta sales record is on 26th april).
  • QTD Sales income measure should only account the sales from 1st Jan- 31st March and it's throwing the same value as YTD Sales Income measure (its adding values from 26 days of April).

[CONFIDENTIAL INFO.]

Please help.

Thnks,

JQ

@JoseQ  What you have is a valid behavior for QTD and YTD functions in DAX.

1. You will see number for May and June even though there is no revenue yet because they both are part of the same quarter that April is in and since we are using a QTD (Quarter to Date) measure, it will show the total revenue in the quarter so far. If you don't want to see the number for May and June, I suggest you have a column in your 'Date' table that will tell you which month is in future and based on that you can toggle between showing the number as is or a blank.

2. Same thing applies for YTD as well as it is Year to Date. You can apply the same logic here

3. For the first three months, QTD and YTD will be same. This is after assuming that Jan to March is the first quarter for your org.

JoseQ
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. Im still not clear with some concepts but i'll keep on research.

I'm also requesting the approval to remove/delete all images/screenshots provided by myself during the discussion since this information is confidential. I can leave all the text in case some one else with the same issue can find an answer on this conversation. 

jstorm
Resolver III
Resolver III

The syntax should be...

TOTALQTD(

SUM( SalesbyProd[Sales income] ),

'Time'[Date]

)

Can you post a screenshot of your model? Can you post you MTD and YTD measure syntax?

JoseQ
Frequent Visitor

hi, thanks for the fast response. 

I tried changing the syntaxis but gave the same results.

image.png 

By model you mean relationships if so.. this is the model..  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.