Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CraigSchulz
Helper II
Helper II

Measure Needs Different Denominator for One Account

I have the following measure that calculates the average number of cars parked by noon on the same day of the week as the current day of the week. On a Friday, for any given account it will give me the average number for Fridays since the beginning of the year.

AvgParkedByNoon = CALCULATE(
DIVIDE(SUM(SMSYTD[ParkedByNoon]),DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Date])),
'Calendar'[IsHoliday]=FALSE(),
FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Day of Week] = [DoWtoday]))

This is working well, but one of the accounts is fairly new and still growing, so it doesn't make sense to look all the way to the beginning of the year for the denominator because there was no data early in the year. In fact I would like to only use the relevant days in July of this year for this particular account.

Can anyone help me with the code to do this?

Here is a link to a sample data file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M2HOFq43UB7qduMqZw_EcBnQK_wecrN-/view?usp=sharing

- Craig

4 REPLIES 4
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CraigSchulz

Try this measure

Assume the particular account is "a", 

Month=MONTH('Calendar'[Date])

AvgParkedByNoon = IF([Area]="a",
CALCULATE(
DIVIDE(SUM(SMSYTD[ParkedByNoon]),DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Date])),
'Calendar'[IsHoliday]=FALSE(),
FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Day of Week] = [DoWtoday] &&[Month]=7)),
CALCULATE( DIVIDE(SUM(SMSYTD[ParkedByNoon]),DISTINCTCOUNT('Calendar'[Date])), 'Calendar'[IsHoliday]=FALSE(), FILTER('Calendar','Calendar'[Day of Week] = [DoWtoday]))

Best Regards

Maggie

This measure did work, once I changed the first lF to IF(VALUES(AccountAreaMaster[AcctAreaID]) = "130 - Hope Tower",

It broke my visual however, giving me the following error message:

Error Message:

MdxScript(Model) (7, 5) Calculation error in measure 'SMSYTD'[AvgParkedByNoon]: A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected.

Perhaps this is because the visual starts out comparing Accounts ("average parked by noon" with "parked by noon today"), and then you can drill down to show AccountAreas with the same comparison. AcctArea "130 - Hope Tower" is one of two areas under AccountID "130", the other being AcctArea "130 - Main".

Is this the source of the error?

If not, what is?

Any thoughts on a solution?

- Craig

Hi @CraigSchulz

VALUES function would return a table not a column or a scalar value, but the right of the "=" is a text value.

Best Regards

Maggie

Hey Maggie,

I'm not sure what to do following your response. I tried your recommended solution and it returned an error. Adding VALUES to the code seemed to work but the visual returned an error.

- Craig

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.