Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

P3Sven
Helper I
Helper I

Measure Error: The following system error occurred: The handle is invalid. | Version: 2.79.5768.721

Hello lovely PBI community,

since the last Power BI Desktop Update (Version: 2.79.5768.721 64-bit (March 2020)) I get the following Error Message with my simple Measure:

SumDaysExclStudent = CALCULATE(SUM(Plan[Days]);FILTER(Plan;Plan[RollCluster]<>"Student"))

2020-03-17 21_39_05-P3 Group Moneyboard - ADF - Power BI Desktop.png

My Datamodel looks like this:

Table Projects (unique ProjectID)

ProjectID        Leader

1                     A

2                     B

3                     B

Table Plan

ProjectID           RollCluster          Days

1                        Consultant          1

2                        Consultant          2

3                        Student               1

Both tables are connected by ProjectID (Filter Direction Projects > Plan) with DirectQuery Storage Mode.

My simple target Table on visual page looks like that:

Target Table

Leader     SumDaysExclStudent

A              1

B              2

Could you help me with this Error message? I haven't found anything in web and maybe its a new one with the new PBI version.

Thank you in advance!

BR,

P3Sven

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @P3Sven ,

Believe this can be specific error. I had a similar error on a previous version and could not find anything I send out the frown and got contacted by Microsfot that solved that identified the issue for me. Another thing you can do is post this on the issues part of the forum for experience they handle this on a timely basis.

Just telling this because some errors are on some machines / installments and on other machines everything is normal. Looking at the tables and code everything should work normally.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Hi @all,

after couple of weeks and lot of calls with indian support, I got the following reply regarding the issue:

2020-04-15 14_07_47-Posteingang - Sven.Lehmann@p3-group.com - Outlook.png

Lets wait for the next PBI Update...

BR,

Sven

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Community Users,

After the recent release of Power BI Desktop March release(Version : 2.79.5768.721), I am getting error while pulling a measure in my report. The error says "The following system error occurred: The handle is invalid."

Kindly please let us know why this error is getting to me but other random users in my organization is not facing this issue.

If I publish this report on Power BI Service then also the error persists.

Power BI Version.JPGPower BI Handle Invalid Error.JPG

Currently I have connected with snowflake database using Direct Query mode in Power BI.

Kindly suggest how to resolve this issue and why few users are getting this type of error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @MFelix 

Really appreciate the quick response on the issue highlighted. Will open the support ticket with the Microsoft.

Regards,

Ashutosh Singh

Hi @Anonymous,

This is very specific so s I refere you better open a ticket on the issues part of the forum, sometimes there are small things like drivers or similar thar can impact some uses, but the microsoft team can help you to get the details.

Regards

Miguel Félix

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @P3Sven 

Based on your description, I created data to reproduce your scenario. Two tables are all from Sql Server with DirectQuery mode. You may simplify the measure as follows.

SumDaysExclStudent = 
CALCULATE(
    SUM(Plan[Days]),
    Plan[RollCluster]<>"Student"
)

Here is the result. It works properly. I'd like to suggest you create a ticket for this issue.

b1.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Allan / v-alq-msft !

Sorry for my late replay (had to do lot of corona virus analysis)

Thank you very much for testing it! I already have done it in this way aswell, but I don't understand why its not working with CALCULATE / FILTER anymore? Whats different in the new version? With PBI February version everything worked fine.

I've lot of other CALCULATE FILTER Measures and some aren't working without FILTER 😕

But thank you for your help, I will open a ticket for it 🙂

Cheers and stay healthy!

Sven

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @P3Sven ,

Believe this can be specific error. I had a similar error on a previous version and could not find anything I send out the frown and got contacted by Microsfot that solved that identified the issue for me. Another thing you can do is post this on the issues part of the forum for experience they handle this on a timely basis.

Just telling this because some errors are on some machines / installments and on other machines everything is normal. Looking at the tables and code everything should work normally.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Hi @all,

after couple of weeks and lot of calls with indian support, I got the following reply regarding the issue:

2020-04-15 14_07_47-Posteingang - Sven.Lehmann@p3-group.com - Outlook.png

Lets wait for the next PBI Update...

BR,

Sven

@P3Sven 

Can you please share the steps to disable V3 model

Hi Miguel @MFelix !

sorry for late reply! Thank you for your experience and suggestion. I will open an support ticket 🙂

BR,

Sven

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.