Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

May Update - Problem with Donut Chart

During one of the more advanced PowerBI webinars on "jazzing" up your reports, the author described a technique for using the Donut chart's tooltips to provide expanded notes/explanations of concepts without having the text taking up space on the canvas.  I started using this technique with Tip Name as the Legend, the expanded tip as the Details, and a counter number as the Value.  Seemed to be working pretty swell.  Now, after installing the May Update (with the expanded tooltips capability), I notice that, at least with the donut chart, the Details replicates the Legend instead of inserting the text for the expanded tip (even though Details shows the correct column name for the expanded tip):

Donut chart tooltipsDonut chart tooltipsThe Tip section should have come out as as shown below (that's what it looked like before the May update) instead of just repeating the Legend information:

sub.png

Is this a bug or the new way the Donut chart now works?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just updated my PowerBI Desktop and it appears that "Details" is now working correctly again.  Don't know about whether or not that's true for the other visuals as I am not using them.  Thanks PowerBI Team, you guys are great!!!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tjd,

We already find incorrect details display in a Donut Chart in May update Power BI Desktop. And we are reporting this potential bug to Power BI team. Will keep you update if we get any feedback.

Thanks for your understanding and support. Smiley Happy

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Do you know if this issue ever resolved?  I don't see that it has, and I am having the same problem, except with a Treemap visual.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Just updated my PowerBI Desktop and it appears that "Details" is now working correctly again.  Don't know about whether or not that's true for the other visuals as I am not using them.  Thanks PowerBI Team, you guys are great!!!

MWilliams86
Employee
Employee

Several of us are having the same issue where the donut and pie chart is no longer using the details field properly.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@tjd

Can you use the new "tooltip" feature that was introduced in the May update?

Make whatever your tooltip used to be a DAX measure and put that in?

Based on what you've provided, I guess the syntax would be like:

Tooltip = "A crew sub is a crew member who participated in the training session but was doing so as a 'filler' for a missing/unscheduled crewmember. The individual's performance may or may not have been graded. Typically, grading results in this analysis."

See below picture for an example of what I think you want:

test.PNG

Please mark this as a solution to your question if it resolves your problem, thanks.

tjd
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thanks for the insight, will have to try it out.  However, the real issue is that the May update apparently "broke" several visualizations' "Details" definition - Donut and Pie charts (see link above).  It would be nice to get them back working again!

wonga
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@tjd

Yeah, it looks like the details field is still reading from the legend field. I have two distinct columns in each field and they both hold the same value which obviously doesn't make sense.

Hopefully, it's a hotfix that can be implemented without needing to wait a whole month.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.