Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Back2Basics
Helper IV
Helper IV

Maxtrix conditional formatting

I have a matrix that is using data from two tables. Both tables have two columns; 'Unique ID' plus either 'Action' or 'Outcome'.

Both of the tables have multiple rows per ID as each Id can have many actions or outcomes. I then have a third table with all one of each ID and relationship set up.  

The maxtrix then plots the actions against outcome, with the count of ID (from the table with just ID's) as the value. This works fine.

What I would like to do is to have a slicer, or table if this is better, for the Unique ID - so that when selected the table values don't change but the matrix value backgrounds change colour to show the relevant parts of the matrix for that Unique ID. 

eg. 

outcome Aoutcome Boutcome Coutcome D
action A

action B16123
action C12037

then when an ID selected from the slicer/table it would show (I'd like background colour but used text colour in the example due to the options available for posting this):

outcome Aoutcome Boutcome Coutcome D
action A

action B16123
action C12037

I have tried a couple of things with conditional formatting but can't get this to work. Anyone done this before?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Back2Basics ,

Believe that for this case you need to create a unrelated table with the unique ID's then you need to create a measure similar to this one:

Condittional formatting = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(SlicerID[ID]) in VALUES(UniqueID[ID]), 1)

Now on the condittional formating select rule and value equal 1 should give something similar to:

MFelix_0-1634316043163.png

MFelix_1-1634316057933.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

Hi @Back2Basics ,

That is related with the fact that probably those lines include all values on the slicer.

Try to change your measure to:

Condittional formatting =
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( SlicerID[ID] ),
    IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( SlicerID[ID] ) IN VALUES ( UniqueID[ID] ), 1 )
)

This will make sure you have selections on the slicer.

Regards

Miguel Félix

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Back2Basics
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hi @MFelix 

I succesfully used this, as I've said, in a report - worked perfectly. However, the report became corrupted and I had to start again. I did exactly the same, everything is as your suggestion - but for some reason the conditional formatting will not function this time round. 

It's not essential that the report has this but it is a very useful function. Do you know of any reason, or setting, that might mean this wouldn't work for one report when it does work in an identical report?

Hi @Back2Basics,

The questions here can be of context or filtering. But without any specific information is difficult to pin point.

Can you please share a mockup data or sample of your PBIX file. You can use a onedrive, google drive, we transfer or similar link to upload your files.

If the information is sensitive please share it trough private message.

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Back2Basics ,

Believe that for this case you need to create a unrelated table with the unique ID's then you need to create a measure similar to this one:

Condittional formatting = IF(SELECTEDVALUE(SlicerID[ID]) in VALUES(UniqueID[ID]), 1)

Now on the condittional formating select rule and value equal 1 should give something similar to:

MFelix_0-1634316043163.png

MFelix_1-1634316057933.png

Regards

Miguel Félix

Thanks @MFelix this is great. One thing that is a little annoying is that the matrix has a default formatting, with seemingly random cells getting the background - but works perfectly once the slicer has been selected. 

Hi @Back2Basics,

What do you mean randomly get background? 

Regards

Miguel Félix

When nothing is selected from the slicer, there are some cells that have a background coloured already. But I'm unsure what they are relevant to

Hi @Back2Basics ,

That is related with the fact that probably those lines include all values on the slicer.

Try to change your measure to:

Condittional formatting =
IF (
    ISFILTERED ( SlicerID[ID] ),
    IF ( SELECTEDVALUE ( SlicerID[ID] ) IN VALUES ( UniqueID[ID] ), 1 )
)

This will make sure you have selections on the slicer.

Regards

Miguel Félix

That is great, thanks. Worked a treat. 

I've not done much with measures, so getting help like this goes a long way for me. Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.