Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Max value date

We are trying to create a measure which shows us the created date. To determine this we use the max function (or maxx), but we will not see values. Our formula is the following: 

max created date = MAX('Dim_....'[CreatedDate])

prt screen.JPG

As prt screen shows, it will not give me any values. Same formula does work in the date table. Anybody any idea what can be the reason that it is not working for other values? Can it be a specific setting of the column?

12 REPLIES 12
tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

What dataformat is [CreatedDate]?

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tex628  Dataformat is date/time. Tried to change it to date as well, but that also doesn't give any output. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

I tried with Both the Date/Time and Date data type and it gives me output. If possible so can please put your created date column in seperate pbix file and send the file here with masking of your data.

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Tahreem24 I know, but i just the datatypes and this seems to be right. (See prt screens query editor and pbi attached). For both I selected same "createddate"  column. 

Capture.JPGCapture2.JPG

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Well thats strange.. Because you're not wrong, MAX should indeed work in this situation. 

If you take a new plain table. Add only the date column and your measure, do you get the same result? 

/J

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tex628  What do you mean? Do you mean same as i already provided in the prt screen in the original post? There you see created date and the outcome of the measure? Or do you mean something else?

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Considering that Feb 20 appears twice it looks like there are more dimensions in the table from your screenshot. 

If you are able to share the file it would make this alot easier. 

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tex628 Aahh, I think you're right!!! If I only select createdDate and max createdDate i don't get any values!! Do you have any idea how to fix that? I would like to now whether my created date is more than 6 months ago. Therefore i would like to compare created day with today. Measure would be easy if i have created day

Anonymous
Not applicable

@tex628  Oohh sorry, i just dubble check.. Both values are located in same dimension, although if i only use created date and max created date i only see blanc values. Any idea how this is possible?

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

I just went on vacation but i'll take a closer look later this week!

/J

Connect on LinkedIn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @tex628

Hopefully you had a great holiday! Did you already had time to take a closer look? 🙂 I still have no idea how to fix it!

tex628
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thank you! 

The createdDate column, is it just a plain date column or is it a calculated column? 

If its a calculated column, are you using the FORMAT() syntax? 

Is it possible for you to send the pbix or is it confidential information?

Br,
J

Connect on LinkedIn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.