Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tomwu
Frequent Visitor

Max number of items in legend or category for stacked column chart.

I have some data with 268 different categories. The chart, however, shows only 167 of them. Is there a limit to the number of categories a chart supports? I'm still on the 11/2016 release of PowerBI Desktop.

20 REPLIES 20
mmilirud
Frequent Visitor

This is still broken in 2.121.644.0 64-bit (September 2023). And it's not just Ribbon Chart. I'm seeing the same with stacked area and stacked bar chart. They all trim to first (alphabetical) 105 items for me.

The way I worked around is filter to top data series, but I'd expect PBI to just aggregate small data series into "Other"

davidismaeloch
Frequent Visitor

I'm loosing a lot of data in a visualization due to this issue. 
Version 2.114.664.0 64-bit (February 2023)
Does someone know if PBI is planning to fix this bug?

davidismaeloch_0-1677017024350.png

davidismaeloch_1-1677017061846.png

vdweghp
Frequent Visitor

I have exactly the same issue, with Version: 2.103.881.0 64-bit (maart 2022)...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can confirm this is still an issue in version 2.88.1385.0 64-bit (December 2020). When the visual breaks, it doesn't aggregate data or cut out the least significant parts, it seemingly discards data in the order read in.

Yes, there is an almost unnoticeably small "i" icon above the affected chart and when you click on it, it says "Too many values [...]"...

aabtra_0-1611731591342.png

...but I honestly first had to google "Power BI visual cannot show more legend entries", found this thread and then found the icon.

Cheers

joeltorby
Frequent Visitor

I just found a brilliant solution for this! Go to "Import a custom visual" and "Import from marketplace". Use the search field and type "Stacked column chart by Akvelon" and press "add". I used version 1.2.3 and it looked almost similar as the standard stacked column chart but I could use all categories as legend and not only the 60 first.

If you want to use a clustered column chart or any other type of column chart, there existed more variants of ".. by Akvelon" and my guess is that they work similarly.

I'm using the current version, 2.0.2 of the Akvelon chart, and it doesn't help. Still get the "Too many values" with no way to increase the max.

But still there is one issue, How Can I show labels for Total of each individual Stacked as there is not any default option in it 
if you know any alternate way then please share

Hi @joeltorby 

this visual will show more than 60 categories, but it also has a limit. Still not enough to show all my data!

I want to show distribution of planned work over weeks, per projects.

There are more than 1000 projects over one year. Very annoying to see only part of the data.

regards

Thomas

MarekV
Frequent Visitor

column chart is displaying only TOP 60 series
see chapter Strategies and data point limits by visual type in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-data-points
61st and next series are cutted without warning

marksd100

Has this been fixed yet?    Crazy that it doesn't graph the values and doesn't give an error so you can be misled into thinking you are seeing an accurage graph.

-- Mark

tartar
Regular Visitor

Power BI, is this something that will be fixed in the near future?  I have a client dashboard that is unusable because of this bug.  

See below for an example, the bars on the left are missing tons of data because there are 'too many' fields in the legend.  Some bars are missing completely.  The bars should stack up to the values of the chart on the right.

Stacked Bar.png

Is there a fix for this yet?

I ran into this problem recently and found that the number of legend values you can have appears to be limited to the number of colour combinations visible in the legend colour palette. hence 10 Colours, 6 shades of each = 60 Colours.  My work-around to this issue was to combine anything less than 1000 into a legent label of "Other" and then enable the drill down which shows the break-up sorted by largest to smallest (but for a smaller selection of data).  Hope this helps.

how do you do the combine anything under 1000 to label other? would be useful for me!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using version  2.48.4792.721 and still gertting the same issue.

danextian
Super User
Super User

I encountered this issue for the first time somewhere in May. My report had more than 100 categories used as a legend and the visuals wouldn't render all of  them. I don't think it's ever been fixed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tomwu,

The newest Power BI desktop version is 2.42.4611.701, I would suggest you update the desktop to this version.

Based on my test, I didn't find the document mentioned the exact maximum number of chart legend. But if there are too many data in the chart, it will prompt us to filter less data like below:

q3.PNG

In your scenario, did you find this kind of message in your chart.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Im using the latest version  2.46.4732.461 64-bit (May 2017),but still this problem exist,legends are not able to show all the values.Please let me know if any one knows the solution.

Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't used to have this problem but it seems to have appeared to me in the July 2017 version.

I also have this problem. I am using a stacked bar chart, with category as the axis and sub category as the legend item. There are 20 categories and 197 sub categories. I think this is a bug, since it acts like a filter without any warning or explanation.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.