Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hwoehler
Helper I
Helper I

Max Value in column for each group

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a solution for the following situation:
I have the following table (Date and calculated column Seq) with a linked DateTable. I would like to have the highest value displayed for each group. The empty fields between the number sequences separate the individual groups. To illustrate this, there is the column "result".
Maybe you could create another column with the groups A,B,C (column „Groups“)etc. and filter them?

Date

Seq

result

Groups

02/05/2019

02/06/2019

A

02/09/2019

A

02/10/2019

02/11/2019

B

02/12/2019

B

02/13/2019

B

02/16/2019

B

02/17/2019

02/18/2019

02/19/2019

C

02/20/2019

02/23/2019

D

02/24/2019

D

02/25/2019

D

I would appreciate any help!
Regards,
hwoehler

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi Gordonlilj,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

Sorry, I forgot to make it clear that the "Groups" column does not exist yet. This would have to be created or it must be recognized how the groups are composed. That's my problem right now. Regards, hwoehler

View solution in original post

v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hwoehler ,

It's not easy to generate the Group column using power query or dax, so I would suggest you use python code to get the Group column, you may refer to the code below:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

import pandas as pd

Seq= dataset['Seq'].values.tolist()
Group = []
start = 0

for ele in Seq:
    if ele == 1:
        start = start + 1
        Group.append(start)
    else:
        Group.append(start)

dataset['Group'] = Group

1.PNG 

Then create a custom column using M code below to beautify the Value.Group column:

if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "1" then "A" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "2" then "B" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "3" then "C" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "4" then "D" else null

2.PNG 

3.PNG 

After that, remove the useless columns and create a calculate column using dax below:

Result = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Seq]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Group]))

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@hwoehler ,

It's not easy to generate the Group column using power query or dax, so I would suggest you use python code to get the Group column, you may refer to the code below:

# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script

import pandas as pd

Seq= dataset['Seq'].values.tolist()
Group = []
start = 0

for ele in Seq:
    if ele == 1:
        start = start + 1
        Group.append(start)
    else:
        Group.append(start)

dataset['Group'] = Group

1.PNG 

Then create a custom column using M code below to beautify the Value.Group column:

if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "1" then "A" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "2" then "B" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "3" then "C" else if [Value.Seq] <> "" and [Value.Group] = "4" then "D" else null

2.PNG 

3.PNG 

After that, remove the useless columns and create a calculate column using dax below:

Result = CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Seq]), ALLEXCEPT('Table', 'Table'[Group]))

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Gordonlilj
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi,

If i understood you correctly then creating a calculated column using somthing like the code below should give the result you illustrated

MaxValue =
IF( 'Table'[Seq] = CALCULATE( MAX( 'Table'[Seq] ), 
                              ALLEXCEPT( 'Table', 'Table'[Groups] ) ), 'Table'[Seq]
)

Hi Gordonlilj,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

Sorry, I forgot to make it clear that the "Groups" column does not exist yet. This would have to be created or it must be recognized how the groups are composed. That's my problem right now. Regards, hwoehler

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors