Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Usman
Frequent Visitor

Matrix

Hi, how we can matrix in Power query? I want dates from a table in rows and all the employees from another table in columns. Basically I want see who is assigned a job and who is free. The table which has dates contains the employees who has a job. Problem is to know about the employees who are free at a certain date.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Usman,

You need to create a thirt table for a calendar you can do it in Excel or follow this link to make the custom calendar in Power query.

• In Advance Mode on Power query editor create the link to the 3 tables
  • On the line of the Projects do the following steps:
    • Unpivot Projects columns
    • Remove Column attibute (name of the projects)
  • Merge the Employes table with the Projects table
  • Expand the date table
  • Add a custom column with the following code:

Occupation = if [Removed Columns.Date] = null then "Free" else "Busy"
  • Pivot Column Occupation using Maximum on Advance options
  • Replace Nulls by Free
  • Filter out null on column Date
  • Merge Dates with previous table
  • Expand Table
  • Replace null

M code below:

let
    Employees = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Employees"]}[Content],
    Emp_Format = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Employees,{{"Employees", type text}}),
    Projects= Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Projects"]}[Content],
    Format_Projects = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Projects,{{"Date", type date}, {"Project 1", type text}, {"Project 2", type text}, {"Project 3", type text}, {"Project 4", type text}}),
    Unpivot_Projects = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Format_Projects, {"Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    Remove_Projects = Table.RemoveColumns(Unpivot_Projects,{"Attribute"}),
    Merge_Emp_Projects = Table.NestedJoin(Emp_Format,{"Employees"},Remove_Projects,{"Value"},"Removed Columns",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand_emp_projects = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge_Emp_Projects, "Removed Columns", {"Date"}, {"Date"}),
    Occupation = Table.AddColumn(Expand_emp_projects, "Occupation", each if [Date] = null then "Free" else "Busy" ),
    Pivot_col = Table.Pivot(Occupation, List.Distinct(Occupation[Employees]), "Employees", "Occupation", List.Max),
    Replace_Null = Table.ReplaceValue(Pivot_col,null,"Free",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}),
    Filter_null = Table.SelectRows(Replace_Null, each ([Date] <> null)),
    Dates= Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Calendar"]}[Content],
    Dates_Format = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Dates,{{"Dates", type date}}),
    Merge_Date_Free = Table.NestedJoin(Dates_Format,{"Dates"}, Filter_null,{"Date"},"Changed Type",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand_Dates_Free = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge_Date_Free, "Changed Type", {"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}, {"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}),
    Replace_Null_free = Table.ReplaceValue(Expand_Dates_Free,null,"Free",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Dates", "John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"})

in
    Replace_Null_free

See attach a copy of the excel file (it's a we tranfer link so will only last 7 days).

See the result below:

busy.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Usman
Frequent Visitor

It's an Excel PQ, so not the visual is appropriate. I have one table which only contains employee names. And other table in which I've dates in the rows and projects on the columns. When I have a project on certain date I assign an employee to that project. I can get the employees who has a job currently but having difficulty to get employees who are free.

Hi @Usman,

Did you try my solution the only change is that were you have a JoinKind.LeftOuter you need to do a JoinKind.FullOuter this way merge full information from both tables.

In the end after having pivoting just filter out nulls on the date column.

Regards,
MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

I'm aware that you asked for a Power Query solution providing a matrix, but I couldn't resist to use basic Power BI, by using a Date Table that is related to a HasAJobTable.

Here you can find a simple Power BI pbix file.

Here is a screenshot from the table relations

TableRelations.png

Here is a screenshot from the table "EmployeeHasJob", I just created a "Calculated Column" that just contains the value 1.

Employee.png

The result, using the matrix visual and conditional formatting, of course this will also work with "Show items with no data" enabled on  the date column

2018-02-24_9-24-14.png

Maybe you find this approach helpful

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share a dataset and show the expected result.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Employee Table.pngInputtable.pngPivotTable.png

Here is the input table which contain dates in rows, jobs in columns and employees assigned to them. employees table only has employees names. expected solution is attached in the pivot table. the only issue is I cannot create a slicer of "Busy, Free" so that I can filter out employees who are free and assign a job to them.

Hi @Usman,

You need to create a thirt table for a calendar you can do it in Excel or follow this link to make the custom calendar in Power query.

• In Advance Mode on Power query editor create the link to the 3 tables
  • On the line of the Projects do the following steps:
    • Unpivot Projects columns
    • Remove Column attibute (name of the projects)
  • Merge the Employes table with the Projects table
  • Expand the date table
  • Add a custom column with the following code:

Occupation = if [Removed Columns.Date] = null then "Free" else "Busy"
  • Pivot Column Occupation using Maximum on Advance options
  • Replace Nulls by Free
  • Filter out null on column Date
  • Merge Dates with previous table
  • Expand Table
  • Replace null

M code below:

let
    Emp_Format = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Employees,{{"Employees", type text}}),
    Projects= Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Projects"]}[Content],
    Format_Projects = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Projects,{{"Date", type date}, {"Project 1", type text}, {"Project 2", type text}, {"Project 3", type text}, {"Project 4", type text}}),
    Unpivot_Projects = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Format_Projects, {"Date"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    Remove_Projects = Table.RemoveColumns(Unpivot_Projects,{"Attribute"}),
    Merge_Emp_Projects = Table.NestedJoin(Emp_Format,{"Employees"},Remove_Projects,{"Value"},"Removed Columns",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand_emp_projects = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge_Emp_Projects, "Removed Columns", {"Date"}, {"Date"}),
    Occupation = Table.AddColumn(Expand_emp_projects, "Occupation", each if [Date] = null then "Free" else "Busy" ),
    Pivot_col = Table.Pivot(Occupation, List.Distinct(Occupation[Employees]), "Employees", "Occupation", List.Max),
    Replace_Null = Table.ReplaceValue(Pivot_col,null,"Free",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}),
    Filter_null = Table.SelectRows(Replace_Null, each ([Date] <> null)),
    Dates= Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Calendar"]}[Content],
    Dates_Format = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Dates,{{"Dates", type date}}),
    Merge_Date_Free = Table.NestedJoin(Dates_Format,{"Dates"}, Filter_null,{"Date"},"Changed Type",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand_Dates_Free = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge_Date_Free, "Changed Type", {"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}, {"John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"}),
    Replace_Null_free = Table.ReplaceValue(Expand_Dates_Free,null,"Free",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Dates", "John Peters", "Mike Dunsing", "Eric Kessler", "John Morales", "Kody Stahley", "Taran Reinert", "Tony Pedigree"})

in
    Replace_Null_free

See attach a copy of the excel file (it's a we tranfer link so will only last 7 days).

See the result below:

busy.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Usman
Frequent Visitor

Thank you so much. it worked.

Hi @Usman,

Just be carefull if the emplooye table changes there are some steps that may be broken since the name of the columns is based on user name.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Usman,

Although I don't know how you data is setup I assume that both tables are in the format of:

Table Dates: Date

Table Emp: Date ; Employees

• Make a merge of both tables joining by date
  • Then expand the table employee
  • Replace null by DELETE on colum employee
  • Duplicate column employee
  • Then pivot by employe copy column with the values from employee
  • Delete column named DELETE
  • Replace 0 by null

See M language below and result:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Dates"]}[Content],
    Format_dates = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Dates", type date}}),
    Format_Emp = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Employees,{{"Employee", type text}, {"Date", type date}}),
    Merge = Table.NestedJoin(Format_dates,{"Dates"},Format_Emp,{"Date"},"Changed Type1",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand_Emp = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Merge, "Changed Type1", {"Employee"}, {"Employee"}),
    Repace_null = Table.ReplaceValue(Expand_Emp,null,"DELETE",Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"Employee"}),
    Duplicate_Emp = Table.AddColumn(Repace_null, "Employee - Copy", each [Employee], type text),
    Pivot = Table.Pivot(Duplicate_Emp, List.Distinct(Duplicate_Emp[#"Employee - Copy"]), "Employee - Copy", "Employee", List.Count),
    Remove_additional = Table.RemoveColumns(Pivot,{"DELETE"}),
    Replace_zero = Table.ReplaceValue(Remove_additional,0,null,Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"A", "B", "D", "C"})
in
    Replace_zero

Tables:

Dates

Dates

01/01/2018
02/01/2018
03/01/2018
04/01/2018
05/01/2018
06/01/2018
07/01/2018
08/01/2018
09/01/2018
10/01/2018
11/01/2018
12/01/2018
13/01/2018
14/01/2018
15/01/2018
16/01/2018
17/01/2018
18/01/2018
19/01/2018
20/01/2018
21/01/2018
22/01/2018
23/01/2018
24/01/2018
25/01/2018
26/01/2018
27/01/2018
28/01/2018
29/01/2018
30/01/2018

Employees

Employee   Date

A01/01/2018
A05/01/2018
A06/01/2018
B04/01/2018
B09/01/2018
B10/01/2018
C22/01/2018
C25/01/2018
C26/01/2018
D17/01/2018
D20/01/2018
D21/01/2018

Matrix.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.