Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

cambell
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix word wrap

Hi,

word wrap matrix.JPG

I've found quite a few posts about people struggling with this and they haven't really helped! I have the word wrap slider option set to on under the row header selector but that doesnt seem to be doing anything?

Also is it possible to word wrap column headers?

Thanks 

Cambel

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I am having trouble to word wrap column Names for Inforiver Matrix visual. I have tried auto wrap column width but it doesn work for column name but for row.

Has someone faced similar issue or know of solution?

sizi_0-1681626319909.png

Thanks,

WelterM
Helper I
Helper I

Has there been a solution for this? I'm using version 2.51.4885.581, and I can't get the Word Wrap to work for column headers in a Table or a Matrix. The slider is on, but doesn't make any difference.

Hello @WelterM,

Can you please send a screenshot for your Table/Matrix and the property pane settings?

I'm assuming you are using the new Table/Matrix. Right?

If you are unsure, please create a new Table/Matrix visual, fill it with data, and try the word wrapping settings.

Also, note that when you toggle the option to "ON", it will not have effect until you reduce the column width.

Hello, @RamySaroufim;

You hit the nail on the head there. I finally figured out that I had to reduce the header width. I tried to reduce the column width, in the body of the column, but that wasn't possible. I finally found how to reduce the header width. And that worked. I wish there was a way to center align the header. Smiley Frustrated

Column Header Wrap.jpg

@WelterM, Glad it worked!

More good news: Actually there is a way to center align the header!

You can either do it for all headers, under "Column headers"

2018-02-13 13_44_10-test - Power BI.png

Or you can do it for a specific column, under "Field formatting"

2018-02-13 13_45_44-test - Power BI.png

Ramy

I don't see an alignment option.

No Center Align.jpg

Ah .. It seems you are using an old version of PowerBI Desktop. Latest (Feb 2018) is v2.55.x.x

You can download the latest version here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Ramy

Got it. Yes, I'm on 2.51.4885.581. I'll have to check with my company and see if there are plans to upgrade soon. Thank you so much.

RamySaroufim
Employee
Employee

Hello Cambell,

This is actually by design. Word wrapping for the regular Matrix Visual works only on Row Headers that span multiple rows (not on the last level).

2017-05-08 11_30_44-Test URL - Power BI.png

Good news is, we have a new Matrix Visual that supports word-wrapping across the board for every cell. It is still in Preivew, it will be rolled out in a future release. You can enable it from the Desktop Options and Settings > Options > Preview features > New table and matrix visuals.2017-05-08 11_34_09-Untitled - Power BI Desktop.png

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @cambell,

Do you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop(Version: 2.46.4732.461)? I turn on the word wrap slider option under the row header selector, everything works as expected.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

It was the normal matrix that I wanted word wrap to work on (it has a slider for it that I can't get to work). I've updated my power BI and I've got it to work on the new matrix but it won't let me have two column headers like i do in the normal matrix (see picture I posted before). Any ideas?

Thanks,

Cambell 

Hi @cambell,

I can reproduce the issue that word wrap doesn't work for row header in normal Matrix visual, I will report this issue internally and post back once I get updates.

Besides, yes, the new Matrix won't let you have two column headers like you do in the normal matrix. And the word wrap feature is not available for column header in normal Matrix visual, you can submit an idea in this forum:https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yes, there is a slider for wrapping column headers. Remember, the new matrix visualization is still in Preview so not everything necessarily works 100%.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.