Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix with Multiple Custom Aggregations & Multiple Value Fields - How to Customize header names ?

Hi - I am stuck with one specific aspect of being able to show "Multiple Custom Totals for Columns" in a Matrix. Please refer screenshot below for the output i require.

To achieve my objective, I used the approach from following URL to create a static custom table - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52632713/custom-aggregate-column-in-power-bi-matrix. This same approach is suggested univerally on many platforms.

This approach works fine when there's one measure used in "Value" field of the Matrix. In my case, i have two measures to be used i.e. of Sales & % Profit. I can't have single measure because it'd lead to a mix up between Sales & % Profit values while drilling up/down on the Matrix. 

Having these two measures in Value field of Matrix leads to the two red cells shown in my screenshot below to have the header names of Sales & % Profit itself, carried from Value field of Matrix. Instead, I want to use custom column names of Budget & Gross Profit.. This is where am stuck with. I am unable to find a way to change the red cells to my custom column header names. 

Please help figure a solution.

push_0-1621332319121.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Did you find a custom visual in AppSource?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-lionel-msft , For now, i could bypass this limitation because client agreed to a different design. They accepted an incoherent user experience 😞 for an intuitavely same functionality between different pages of the same report.

Regarding AppSource Suggestion - It doesn't cross my mind generally due to time crunch combined with baggage it carried in this case:

(A) I overcame existing set of limitations with native matrix (this post lists only one where i got stuck) - Would AppSource one accommodate all of them too ?

(B) Some complex calculations through DAX - Would AppSource one accommodate them too ?

(C) If i get stuck with AppSource one, limited support is expected to be available from community

(D) As far as i have seen - AppSource doesn't list overlaps with native visual's functionality already available for a quick evaluation at my end. I just checked a few visuals for Matrices in AppSource and their starting point was "we give this and this" ... I want to know how it compares to native Matrix

(E) Pricing and licensing, cant forget 🙂

Thanks, 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Seem like a hybrid table. Not supported with standard matrix visual

Workaround, but display might not be same

if you are looking for a Hybrid display with Matrix Column and measure
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Creating-a-custom-or-hybrid-matrix-in-PowerBI/ba-p/1354591
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/The-New-Hotness-Custom-Matrix-Hierarchy/m-p/963588#M428

vote for Hybrid Table
https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=9bc32b23-1eb1-4e74-8b34-349887b37ebc

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak - Appreciate your response. I have already implemented this approach and shared a reference URL. Also, i have experience through applying similar approaches before but this time though, i got stuck one specific aspect of it. It's expained in my original post. I am hoping someone can help crack it ... 

Thanks again. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.