Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BenjyPowerBI
Frequent Visitor

Matrix with Dynamic Row/Column Headers

Hi! 

Let's say I have a table with the columns: ID, Attribute 1, Attribute 2, Attribute 3...  where each of the attribute fields can be either A, B or C in value. 

I'm trying to create a matrix visual whose row headers are directly linked to a slicer which lets you choose the attribute (1, 2 or 3) and whose column headers are directly linked to a second slicer which lets you choose the attribute. The matrix values when they show how many IDs are within each combination of attribute values. 

Is there a way to achieve this using DAX alone and without producing a great big unpivot table?

Schematic.PNG

Thanks,

Ben

8 REPLIES 8
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BenjyPowerBI 

A very good question for which I have no answer! (I would say go for it...)

Ps: and report your findings if you do so!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@BenjyPowerBI , Unpivot this data. That will give Attribute and value , Use Attribute and value both row and column and do count of ID

https://radacad.com/pivot-and-unpivot-with-power-bi

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Hey Amit,

The inclusion of an unpivot table makes the .pbix file size way too big to work with (and publish) so I need a workaround using DAX if possible 😕

@BenjyPowerBI 

Work with a filtered dataset to reduce the size and reconnect to the full dataset once published

Paul on Linkedin.

Hi Paul I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please could you elaborate? 🙂 And how can I reconnect to the full dataset after it's been published? 

Thanks in advance!

@BenjyPowerBI 

Here are a couple of links which will help (I hope!)

Edit parameters settings in Power BI service 

Change the source of PowerBI datasets dynamically using Power Query parameters 

So basically you create a parameter to filter down the dataset to a manegeable level, and once published, you edit the parameter in the service.

OR, work with a filtered sample and then alter the source from within the service to pull the whole dataset (as per link number 2)

Paul on Linkedin.

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm currently limited to (I think) a 1024MB publishing limit so whenever I try to publish a file with a size greater than that I get blocked. Does this mean that by parameterising it I can bypass this limit?

Hi @BenjyPowerBI,

In fact, query parameters not able to affect this limit.

It should be a trick to designing a report with fully parameterized connection string reports to skip the publish file size checking.

After these steps, you can change datasource on the power bi service side, but it not means the 1GB dataset limit has been resolved. If you change on the service side, this size limit issue still exists if your dataset expanded. (dataset size limit has been increased on premium license)

What is Power BI Premium?#size-considerations 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.