Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wesleyvieira
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix visualization with horizontal lines

Hello all.

I just started to use Power BI, read all the guided learning and still learning how to handle it. I need to insert in a matrix some informations and it must to show the description, value and percent value... all this information in the same line. I tried with both default matrix of Power BI but isn't what a need... or, I couldin't set up the fields correctly. Here's the exemple of what I have in mind:

custo de servir.png

And this is what I get:

custo de servir - no powerbi.PNG

So, if someone may help I'll be grateful!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@wesleyvieira if they are columns, you'll get a row for each value in each column, and the $ and % will calculate on each row. The closest you'll get is probably a card as @Sean suggested. It won't be formatted the way you want it but it will give you the values you want. The formatting you want is...just not how any of the visuals work.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

The lines are controlled under the paintbrush tab in the matrix's settings. There's a section there called Grid. Turn on "Horiz grid" and set the grid color to whatever you want.

matrixgrid.PNG

GridSettings.PNG

As for the numeric results on your matrix I don't really know anything about the items you've placed in the Rows slot. If those are measures they should go under Values, not rows. Rows are just for the context items. Like if you had a sales matrix you would put Salesperson under rows and Total Sales under values.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Just to add to @KHorseman's answer

Please Vote Here...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9207006-matrix-collapse-expand-bu...

AND also here...

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/10948962-matrix-measures-or-value...

EDIT: This 2nd Idea is for Measures on Rows! (which as @KHorseman said you may need to achieve your desired result!)

Hey Khorseman,

Thank you for your reply, but what I need is to put the column in lines... I´ve attached a new image of the same information I have in excel and PowerBI. Formatting is easy.. I already new about it.! Smiley Very Happy

@wesleyvieira I think we must have both been editing our posts at the same time. Check my answer again. I think you have measures in the wrong place. Everything is in the Rows slot on your matrix, with nothing under Values. Totals and percentages are calculated as values per row. The row slot is only for labels and categories and things like that.

Hi @KHorseman.

Yeap... I really think we were editing our messages at the same time! lol

The fact is that I am still trying to get the visualization and no success! This time, I tried to use "table", but it still shows all information in columns instead of rows. The information I get with the table of PowerBI is:

Cost of service          Mkt Actions       Equipments     Conteiners

$ 14,345                  $ 2,892               $ 5,027          $ 6,426

100%                  20.16%              35.04%          44.80%

And I must to be shown:

Cost of service                   $ 14,345       100.00%

Mkt Actions                       $   2,892         20.16%

Equipments                       $   5,027         35.04%

Containers                         $  6,426          44.80%

@wesleyvieira I don't know what Cost of service, Mkt Actions, Equipments and Containers are. Are they each different measures? If so that will never work. Are they values from a column in your dataset? If so you can put that column in the Rows slot, then add your sum and % measures to the values slot.

@KHorseman Cost of service, Mkt Actions, etc.. are columns, "$" the rows and "%" are measures.

@wesleyvieira if they are columns, you'll get a row for each value in each column, and the $ and % will calculate on each row. The closest you'll get is probably a card as @Sean suggested. It won't be formatted the way you want it but it will give you the values you want. The formatting you want is...just not how any of the visuals work.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@wesleyvieira One workaround is to put the Measures in a Multi-Row Card and adjust the size so only 1 Measure fit per line

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean except he wants two measures per line, so that still won't look the way he wants it to look. I suspect the very specific appearance he's after is not possible.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yep - that's why I posted the 2 Ideas (actually the 1st one is mine)

The Matrix needs MANY improvements (subtotals is another thing we can't control)

Row Totals 5.png

@Sean is this matrix on PowerBi Desktop or Excel Power View? I am using Power BI Desktop.

By the way, this is the image of my powerbi to you figure out. (I made tags translating the names of columns cause my Power Bi is in Portuguese).

powerbi.PNG

I thought about make a visualization, but I don't have experience and knowledge to, neither know if it is possible!

@wesleyvieira I'm not sure what you want to do with these 4 Columns?

Do you want to show only the OVERALL Totals for these 4 columns you currently get on the bottom of the Table?

So only the Totals but vertically instead of horizontally?

@Sean, I want to show them horizontally with total in the same row and the percent they represent (by mesaure). Just like below:

Cost of service                   $ 14,345       100.00%

Mkt Actions                       $   2,892         20.16%

Equipments                       $   5,027         35.04%

Containers                         $  6,426          44.80%

It´s columns that I need to show in rows.

But I will give up... seems do not be possible to do this way.

Do you have SUM Measures for these 4 columns?

Create 4 Measures for each column!

Measure Name = SUM ( TableName[ColumnName] )

Then put these 4 Measures in a Multi-Row Card Visualizaiton (yes thats in PBI)

When it´s in columns in the table, they sum automatically.

@wesleyvieira where do you get these numbers from?

Matix with Line.png

@Sean, comes from my database.

tabela.PNG

Cost of service, MKT Actions, Equipments, Containers... are the name of my columns in database, and the values are the sum of those columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.