Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dcormiernj
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix visual remove row subtotals but keep row grand total

I have a matrix visual that is working great.  it only shows row grand total which is what i want.  however, when i tried to create a new visual that did the same thing, i cannot get rid of the subtotals and keep grand total.  I compare with the old one that works and for the life of me I do not see any difference.  When i try to recreate that same visual i cant get rid of the subtotals.    does anyone know how to hide row subtotals but still show row grand total in a matrix visual with step layout off??  this is driving me crazy why it worked on that one older visual and i cant recreate it....  did a BI update prevent it from working ???

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi , @dcormiernj 

According to your description, you want to show the buttom of the total in Matrix each column. 

If this , it means the total belongs to the row header.

If this , you need to create a dimension table as the field in the row headers.

And then you need to create a measure as a value to realize the custom total.

For this , you can refer to :
Solved: Adding a custom total Row and Total Column for mat... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yueyunzh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @dcormiernj 

According to your description, you want to set the subtoal of the column .

For this , you need to open the "Column subtotals" and open the "Per column level"

vyueyunzhmsft_0-1678240455339.png

Then you can select which column you need to close or open the "total":

vyueyunzhmsft_1-1678240686183.png

Then you can cotrol if or not show the total of this column:

vyueyunzhmsft_2-1678240728877.png

Thank you for your time and sharing, and thank you for your support and understanding of PowerBI! 

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Thank you for your response Aniya,  But what I am trying to do is HIDE subototals and only show grand total at the bottom of the matrix visual.  It seems as though if I hide the subtotals it does not allow me to show grand totals.  is there a way to show the detail and at the bottom of the visual show the grand total as the only total showing? 

Hi , @dcormiernj 

According to your description, you want to show the buttom of the total in Matrix each column. 

If this , it means the total belongs to the row header.

If this , you need to create a dimension table as the field in the row headers.

And then you need to create a measure as a value to realize the custom total.

For this , you can refer to :
Solved: Adding a custom total Row and Total Column for mat... - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Aniya Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.