Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mstone3
Helper II
Helper II

Matrix visual goes blank upon slicer selection

Hello, I have a matrix style visual with the rows populated with a 3 level hierarchy (e.g. Level 1 = State, Level 2 = School District, Level 3 = School).  The matrix is synched with a slicer using Level 2/School District as the level.  

When the matrix is drilled down to level 3 and the level 2 slicer selection is changed, the entire matrix goes blank.  The matrix can be restored by drilling up one level.  Interestingly, this doesn't happen when the matrix is drilled to level 2 and the level 2 slicer selection is changed - only when the matrix is drilled to level 3.  Is there any way to prevent the visual from going blank?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mstone3
Helper II
Helper II

Okay I figured it out!  Here is a solution for anyone experiecing the same issue:

When the level 2 slicer is toggled, the settings of the level 2 filter on the matrix (viewed from the filter pane) need to be selected for all level 2 options.  In default configuration shown below, only one of the two options is checked, so this seems to explain why the visual goes blank when the slicer is toggled to the other (unchecked) option:

mstone3_0-1627404898839.png

Checking both options as shown below solves the issue and the matrix no longer goes blank when toggling:

mstone3_1-1627404960552.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
mstone3
Helper II
Helper II

Okay I figured it out!  Here is a solution for anyone experiecing the same issue:

When the level 2 slicer is toggled, the settings of the level 2 filter on the matrix (viewed from the filter pane) need to be selected for all level 2 options.  In default configuration shown below, only one of the two options is checked, so this seems to explain why the visual goes blank when the slicer is toggled to the other (unchecked) option:

mstone3_0-1627404898839.png

Checking both options as shown below solves the issue and the matrix no longer goes blank when toggling:

mstone3_1-1627404960552.png

v-yangliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @mstone3 ,

You can check the following, whether there is a null value in your data, it will show that there is no blank.

vyangliumsft_0-1625472496524.png

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format? Or a sample pbix after removing sensitive data.

Best Regards,

Liu Yang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Hello - thanks very much for your reply!  Apologies for the delayed response.  I've inspected the data for blanks/nulls and made sure there were none.  I can provide some additional information and screenshots below:

For the fact table, I have student records where each row equals one student and the fields are student number and school code.  Example:

mstone3_0-1627345168787.png

For the dimension table, I have fields to relate the school code to state (level 1), district (level 2) and school (level 3). Example:

mstone3_1-1627345255962.png

The dimension table contains a created hierarchy field with school nested within school district nested within state: 

mstone3_2-1627345364491.png

The dimention and fact table are related one to many.

For the visual setup, I have a matrix with the hierarchy placed on the row and the distinct count of student number as the value (nothing added to columns).  I also have a slicer with level 2 (school district) as the field.

mstone3_3-1627345504506.png

I have the matrix drilled to level 3 on the hierarchy as shown above.  But when I switch the district from upstate to district on the level two slicer, the matrix goes blank:

mstone3_4-1627345606775.png

For the user experience, I would like to to not go blank and instead show the level 3 results on the matrix for the new level 2 slicer setting:

mstone3_5-1627345732289.png

I can get the correct result changing the slicer (visual goes blank), then drilling up to level 2 then back down to level 3 on the matrix, but would prefer the user not have to do this.

Thanks so much for any help you may have!

Have you confirmed in the Data View when you make those same filter selections (choose one school code you know exists in that Level 3 selection) that you have rows of data?

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Good morning Pat,

Yes, just verified that - I have data for all possible combinations of filter selections.  Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.