Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

goalie_
Helper III
Helper III

Matrix visual color conditional formatting

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Power BI. I am looking to highlight unique rows in a matrix visual such as below. In this case, I'd like to have the Carbs and Protein rows highlighted but NOT the sugar, fat and fiber.

Rice Type  
  White Short GrainBrown short grainWhite long grain 
Nutrition TypeCarbs

highlighted

highlighted

highlighted

Sugar111
 Protein

highlighted

highlighted

highlighted

Fat111
 Fiber333

In the visualizations pane, the entered info is

• Rows: Nutrition Type
  • Columns: Rice Type
  • Values: Value

The data source is as follows.

Rice TypeNutrition TypeValue
White Short GrainCarbs50
White Short GrainSugar1
White Short GrainProtein10

I know I'll need to create some kind of measure and use conditional formatting but I'm not sure how to proceed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@goalie_ change following measure

# of servers = 
COUNTROWS ( 
        CALCULATETABLE( 
            VALUES ( Amount[Server] ),
            ALLSELECTED ( Amount ) 
        ) 
    ) 

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@goalie_ , Not sure I got it. You can create a color measure and use that with Fields option in conditional formatting

Color  = if(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table[Year],2014) <=2016 && AVERAGE(Sales[Sales Amount])<170 
,"lightgreen",if(FIRSTNONBLANK(Table[Year],2014)>2018,"red","yellow"))
Color sales = if([Sales Today] -[sales yesterday]>0,"green","red")

https://radacad.com/dax-and-conditional-formatting-better-together-find-the-biggest-and-smallest-num...
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-conditional-table-formatting#color-by-color-values

@goalie_ I have a similar solution done a long time ago, see attached. In this, if values are different than it highlights whereas in your if the value is the same that highlights the row, you can change reverse logic in the Dax function and implement the solution in your model.

It is pretty straight forward, if you still run into an issue, let me know.

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

In terms of the example you showed me, if I had C2, S1, Server 2 with an amount of 200 and only selected Servers 1,2,3, the result is below:

example help.PNG

It highlights the C2, S1 row because Server 4 still has a different value for it. For what I'm trying to do, I'd like it to be clear. Hopefully that makes more sense.

@goalie_ sure I will tweak the measure, I think that will do it. stay tuned

@goalie_ change following measure

# of servers = 
COUNTROWS ( 
        CALCULATETABLE( 
            VALUES ( Amount[Server] ),
            ALLSELECTED ( Amount ) 
        ) 
    ) 

Hi @parry2k , it works for the most part. I tried it on my dataset. There are some where it's the same but it still becomes highlighted. Any ideas?

I'm not entirely clear on how conditional formatting applies by using the measure. Does it look at it columnwise, or rowwise or some combination? I might be able to figure it out from there. Thank you again.

Edit: I'm trying to upload a picture  but it won't let me. I made this table to show what kind of output I'm getting for some of the rows

|0.140661000||0.140661000|0.140661000
|0.360054000|0.360054000|0.360054000

I think I narrowed it down. I only see it happening when there's three options for the columns in slicer that are selected.

Still not sure why it's happening. But I found a solution. Incase anyone wants to know for the future, I encompassed the original DAX statement with the round( ) function upto 10 decimal points. And that seemed to do the trick.

Thank you again @parry2k 

Thank you so much, but I'm not there yet. I want the highlighting to apply to selected column values via a slicer. I think we're on the right track. So my question is how would I specify for specific column values that are narrowed down via a slicer?

For example, let's say I have more Rice Types(Jasmine, black, flaked, etc...) in addition to Brown short, white short, and white long. Now if I slice it to 3 of them, I only want the highlighting rules to only apply to the ones selected, not the entirety of the table, which is what it is currently doing.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@goalie_ what is the business logic which rows get highlighted over another?

The contents of the row contain different values for each column.

For example in carbs, there's 50, 45, 39 which are all different numbers so it should be highlighted. IF they were 50, 45, 50, then the row would need to be highlighted. However, if they all had the same value 50,50,50 then it shouldn't be highlighted. 

Edit: there could be other rice types too. But with slicers, focused on the three mentioned above.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.