Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DuaneDLB
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix total row will not compute correctly for some measures

Need help undestand why some measures will add correctly and others will not. 

In the screen shot below there are two columns (Driver Miles Running TimeValue and _Incentive Hrs v2). 

The Driver Miles Running TimeValue data is correct.  The '_Incentive Hrs v2' is a test measure I am creating to test how I can take one measure and add math rules to obtain results.    You will notice I tested my measure by simply subtracting 10 from the measure called 'Driver Miles Running TimeValue'.  Even though the detail row computed correctly the aggregate (total) row did not for the measure '_Incentive Hrs v2'.   How can I manipulate measures to make sure their totals are the sum of the detail rows?  I am dealing with aggregate aggravation.  Please help.  Thanks 🙂 

Capture.JPG

_Incentive Hrs v2 = [Driver Miles Running TimeValue] - 10

Driver Miles Running TimeValue = sumx(DriverMove,DriverMove[Driver ProRate Running Miles]) / 'WhatIF MPH TimeValue'[WhatIF MPH TimeValue Value]
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

This looks like a measure totals problem. Very common. See my post about it here: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/Dealing-with-Measure-Totals/td-p/63376

Also, this Quick Measure, Measure Totals, The Final Word should get you what you need:
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The second link was the key to success! Thanks!

Your reading did help, even though I do not undestand why we have to build those memory tables to compute the measure totals. 

As you can see below in my scree shot I focused on 'Driver Incentive Hrs Pay' that was not computing correclty.  Using your suggested reading, I created 3 test measures (_Test, _Test2 and Test3).  After I created _Test the total was correct then I created another measure to only display values greater than 0. You wil notce in the '_Test2' the Total value was same as '_Test'. So, I applied your rules using the '_test2' measure to build measure '_Test3' and the total values came out perfect.   Now I have to apply the same rules to the other column called 'Driver Incentive Miles Pay' and I will be done with this task.  Thanks again for your help. Now I know why they call this Aggregate Aggravation.  lol 

Capture2.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.