Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBITesting
Helper IV
Helper IV

Matrix sorting is not working for text data type column?

On click of column sorting is not working for data type of Text in matrix. 

7 REPLIES 7
v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PowerBITesting ,

Could you tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, kindly Accept it as the solution. More people will benefit from it. Or you are still confused about it, please provide me with more details about your table and your problem or share me with your pbix file from your Onedrive for Business.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

PowerBITesting
Helper IV
Helper IV

I think I got the issue . same data is sortig with table ,but matrix is not working . As table sorts the whole data where Matrix sorts within the group. As I have single value for the account ie City I was not able to notice the same. if Account - Account1 contians A,B,C city then that will sort within that value , and Account2 contians D,E,F,A city that will sort with these 4 values not on the whole value. 

Is there any way that I can override the default grouped sorting based on the first column in matrix?

Let me know if my understaing is wrong in any sense. 

Hi @PowerBITesting ,

Row/Column sort in Matrix is by design. In my test, we could not use Sort by column based on another column unless there are no Duplicate data in Sub-categoty column.

11.12.6.1.gif

This is at idea/feedback level alone. May be , hopes Power Bi will implement this in nearby future.

If you also want this in power bi, let the power bi community to know this things and submit it as idea in --

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/search-ideas/?q=matrix%20sort%20by

Did I answer your question ? Please mark my reply as solution. Thank you very much.
If not, please upload some insensitive data samples and expected output.

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@PowerBITesting , Can you provide more details. You can sort row columns and values. Matrix column (pivot) work on default sort

if there is multiple column(name and city with other columns), Name column sorting is working. But city sorting is not working. When I sort the name(DESC) and  click on city sort that time it sorts name column. 

Note : City contains both Numbers and characters. 

Step  -1 - I have crated a copy of main table and kept only city with Unique values and sorted with ascending.

Step -2 - Added a  new indexed column to the same table 

Step -3 - Merged with the main table to get the unique index  column value for the city.

step -4- defined the sort by column for the city with the index column

But get the below error -

PowerBITesting_0-1604603323060.png

Hi @PowerBITesting - Can you share sample data please?

Thanks,

-Namish B

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.