Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Matty
Helper II
Helper II

Matrix showing incorrect values...

Hi Team,

Has anyone else experienced a situation where post a refresh, the values in a visual differ to what shows in the Power Query model (i.e. the source data)?  Yet if you refresh a second time, it pulls them through correctly.  I have a time series matrix visual and some weeks are correct, yet others aren't.

I'm using some faily heavy DAX formulas which means some visuals take a while to recalculate , but I'm losing confidence in the results I'm seeing as I'm unsure whether Power BI has fully recalculated!  Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

I'm a huge fan of Power BI, but this behaviour is a little alarming...

Cheers,

Matty

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Matty,

We don't need to load all the data in the Power Query. It only contains a preview. We can see it from the snapshot below clearly.

Matrix_showing_incorrect_values

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Dale,

Perhaps I wasn't very clear explaining the problem - here's what I'm observing:

• Data is being pulled from SQL Server;
  • Data checked in Power Query and matches to SQL Server;
  • Data presented in a matrix visual does NOT match Power Query AFTER data refresh;
  • But if I refresh again, it may then match (or it may not!).

I compare the behaviour with how Excel acts with a formula-heavy workbook where calculation has been set to manual.  You need to be aware of this and make sure a full recalculation is carried out before you can rely on the values being shown.  The problem with Power BI is that you don't know if everything has fully recalculated or not!

Hope this helps explain the issue!

Cheers,

Matty

Hi,

Just going to bump this one as I'm still having issues.

I have traced things back and values exist in the data model but some are getting dropped from the matrix vidual (a blank appears instead).

I'm thinking this must be a bug.  I'm using Power BI 2.54 (64-bit), so don't know whether it has been fixed in newer versions.

Thanks,

Matty

Also tested with a table - same issue.

Hi,

The following thread seems to indicate an underlying problem:

Link

Which is a relief that it's not just happening to me.  The question is: is the issue being looked at by Microsoft?

Cheers,

Matty

Hi,

Just to come back on this, I've identified the cause as being a merge done in Power Query which appears to be creating gremlins.  Moving this task 'upstream' to SQL Server (my data source) seems to have fixed things.

Good to see it resolved, but quite alarming that Power Query has such flaws.

Cheers,

Matty

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.