Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Sam01
Frequent Visitor

Matrix returning rows with no data once text and numeric values are concatnated

Hello community,

I have matrix that has measure duration in HH:MM:SS format , once I add this measure it returns all rows dimension. On below screenshot row A shouls not be displayed. If i remove this measure row A is not displayed, it seems like once I concat text and number measure show all rows. Any way to supress row A with the duration format I need.

Measures:
Call Duration = CALCULATE(SUM('Fact'[CallDuration]), 'Fact'[Metric]="Calls") 

Call Duration (HH:MM:SS) =
VAR hours =
ROUNDDOWN ( [Call Duration] / 3600, 0 )
VAR minutes =
ROUNDDOWN ( MOD ( [Call Duration], 3600 ) / 60, 0 )
VAR seconds =
INT ( MOD ( [Call Duration], 60 ) )
RETURN
FORMAT(hours,"00") & ":"
& FORMAT(minutes, "00")
& ":"
& FORMAT(seconds, "00")

Matrix.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam01 -

You can use an IF statement - something like this, which checks to see whether Call Duration is blank. If it's blank, thn this measure will also be blank:

IF(ISBLANK([Call Duration]),BLANK(),
VAR hours =
VAR minutes =
VAR seconds =
RETURN
& FORMAT(minutes, "00")
& FORMAT(seconds, "00")
)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

There's an easier way to do this. 

Call duration (HH:MM:SS) = FORMAT(TIME(0,0,'Fact'[Call Duration]), "HH:mm:ss")

Unfortunately, due to integer limits, if you have any durations of 32,768 seconds or more, this does break.  If you're not going to get calls over 9 hours, 6 minutes, and 7 seconds, then this is simple and works great.

If you need the error handling, or do expect durations longer than 09:06:07, then this will handle durations of up to 86,399 seconds (a second less than 24 hours):

Call duration (HH:MM:SS) = FORMAT(TIME(INT(numsecs/3600),MOD(INT(numsecs/60),60),MOD(numsecs,60)), "HH:mm:ss")

If you need to be able to handle durations of over 24 hours, you can still make it work, essentially using your setup, and just set a visual level filter on your call duration measure, showing items when the value is not "::"

snipa.PNG

@Cmcmahan  Thanks for your reply, I tried with format it did not work so I went with other route, other think I was also filtering out :: but it filtered out other necessary data where there were not callduration.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam01 -

You can use an IF statement - something like this, which checks to see whether Call Duration is blank. If it's blank, thn this measure will also be blank:

IF(ISBLANK([Call Duration]),BLANK(),
VAR hours =
VAR minutes =
VAR seconds =
RETURN
& FORMAT(minutes, "00")
& FORMAT(seconds, "00")
)

@Anonymous  there are no blank values on this Call duration columns. this measure is returning all team member  dimemsion regardless if it has data or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam01 - I think you want this measure to be blank if call duration is blank, correct? 

Yes, and I would also expect that row would not appear. If I remove my measure with formatting, charts is displaying fine. So I am thinking this measure is causing some iisues

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sam01  - You marked my answer as solution - is everything resolved now?

Yes, I was able to make ISblank to work, and its fine now. thank you for your support.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.