Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Back2Basics
Helper IV
Helper IV

Matrix preview drilldown in Dashboard view

Hi

I am creating a dashboard that has several views using the new Matrix Preview vis. The drilldown options work great in the report when using Power BI Desktop, but when I publish and pin to a dashboard the drilldown options and expand data table options are lost. Is there a way to use these when sharing a dashboard, or would people have to do this by using the report view??

TIA

Henry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Back2Basics,

Yes, we are unable to use drill down on dashboard without going to the report. You can create reports over your data model using the tables, columns and visualisation tools. You can't create a dashboard this way. You can pin individual visualisations from a report into a dashboard. whic  like a cockpit of individual visualisations and/or whole reports. Dashboards can have multiple tiles from different reports and different datamodels. You can see the difference dsahbord and report here.

Thanks,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Back2Basics,

As i tested, we can still use the drilldown options and expand data table options in Dashboard. In the dashboard screen, you can see all the visualization in one page. You need to click it, you will see it as same in report. Please see the following screenshots. The first displays the dashboard, when I click it, we can see the drill down options.

1.PNG2.PNG

Please check it based on the steps above.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia

Thank you for your response. But really what you are saying is "no you can't use the drilldown functionality in dashboard, but you can go to the report and view use the functionality there".

I was hoping that there would be a way to utilise the drilldown functionality within the dashobard itself, without the need to move between dashboard and report. What I don't understand is, if the functionality isn't within the dashboard to fully make sure of the visualisations what is the different between the dashboard and the report? It seem bizzare to be able to share a dashboard and not a report when actually the user can still access the report and will have to go into it to view all of the data if they wished to do so.

Is there a way to simpy share a report then, rather than a dashboard - as I think the majority of people that I need to share the dashboard with will constantly be going into the report any way??

Hi @Back2Basics,

Yes, we are unable to use drill down on dashboard without going to the report. You can create reports over your data model using the tables, columns and visualisation tools. You can't create a dashboard this way. You can pin individual visualisations from a report into a dashboard. whic  like a cockpit of individual visualisations and/or whole reports. Dashboards can have multiple tiles from different reports and different datamodels. You can see the difference dsahbord and report here.

Thanks,
Angelia

Thanks @v-huizhn-msft

I think I understand the differences between the two, I was just hoping to create a 'dashboard' that would have the data collapsed and then users could drill down if necessary. It isn't too much of a problem but if a shame for a visualisation such as the Matrix Preview, as that is beauty of its functionality. I might put this on the ideas board as an 'improvement; for the Matrix Preview.

thanks again

Hi

I am creating a dashboard that has several views using the new Matrix Preview vis. The drilldown options work great in the report when using Power BI Desktop, but when I publish and pin to a dashboard the drilldown options and expand data table options are lost. Is there a way to use these when sharing a dashboard, or would people have to do this by using the report view??

REGARDS

Sweta.P.Shimikeri

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.