Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yme
Frequent Visitor

Matrix order columns - SSAS Azure DWH

Dear readers,

I have a small problem I cannot figure out. I have a matrix where I want the columns sorted based on a invisible datetime column.

The rows are years: and are sorted. Good!

The columns are monthnames: MMM, but are not sorted. I want these columns names being sorted by a corresponding datetime column (invisible).

I searched on the internet and mostly I get solutions referring to the model creation pane in the menu and sort there on a specific column. However this option is greyed out, because I am working with SSAS azure DWH. 

I also tried to sort the table on the month datetime, but still the columns ignore this sort.

Now my monthnames are messed up in the columns. I even tried to add a number, like 1,2,3, but then still the columns are string sorted which means: 1, 10, 11, 12, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Can someone provide me with a solution to this problem?

Best regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Yme,

Since it's a live connection, almost all are defined in the SSAS Server. Maybe you can change it in the SSAS model. Please refer to the snapshot below. It could help.

Matrix-order-columns-SSAS-Azure-DWH2

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Yme,

Could you please mark the proper answers as solutions?

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Yes, done. After some changes to the data model I used your solution and it works! The months are now sorted in the columns.

Thank you!

Best regards

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Yme,

Is it a live connection? If so, I'm afraid you have to adjust it in the SSAS model. If not, you could try these methods below.

1. If you add numbers like 1, 2, 3, you still need to change its type to "Whole Number" or other numeric types.

2. Add a numeric type column and use the function "Sort by Column".

Matrix-order-columns-SSAS-Azure-DWH

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Yes, it is indeed a live connection. Unfortunatly I have to search for a solution in the SSAS model. One solution I now can think of is changing the column values to: a. Jan 18, b. Feb 18, c. Mar 18 etc.

It would however be a nice feature for the Powerbi Matrix also to sort on the columns with a live connection. I mean it is possible to sort the rows, so why not the columns.

Best regards,

Hi @Yme,

Since it's a live connection, almost all are defined in the SSAS Server. Maybe you can change it in the SSAS model. Please refer to the snapshot below. It could help.

Matrix-order-columns-SSAS-Azure-DWH2

Best Regards,
Dale

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

I will take a look at your solution. See if I can this one to my datamodel.

I let you know if it worked!

Thanks in advance 🙂

Best regards.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.