Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jimcrock
Regular Visitor

Matrix only returning first or last entries - how do I see all, as I would in a pivot table?

New to Power BI and trying to understand how to use a matrix. For several tasks I would like to use the data in a similar way to a traditional pivot table, but keep hitting hurdles. For example if I create a matrix with the primary determinant in the Rows field, and a list of data in the Values field, what do I need to do to return ALL the values not the first (or last). What I'm hoping to see is one sub header with the related entries in the adjacent column. This must be elementary but it's driving me crazy!? Thanks in advance. [Also, I've figured out how to custom rank/order my Rows, but is it possible to then sub rank the secondary values? Happy to provide more info once I've solved the first part.]
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@jimcrock,

Matrix is used to to display aggregated data summaries, grouped in rows and columns, similar to a PivotTable or crosstab. If your data cannot be grouped, then it will display first or last value. If you want to display all rows, you can use a table visual. Table visual is used to display detail data, organize the data in row groups, or both.

If this is not what you want, please provide us some sample data and elaborate your expected result, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@jimcrock,

Matrix is used to to display aggregated data summaries, grouped in rows and columns, similar to a PivotTable or crosstab. If your data cannot be grouped, then it will display first or last value. If you want to display all rows, you can use a table visual. Table visual is used to display detail data, organize the data in row groups, or both.

If this is not what you want, please provide us some sample data and elaborate your expected result, so that we can make further analysis.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

I am having this same issue, I want to be able to see my field labels as rows (only listed once) and then the values assigned to those field labels in columns, instead when I do the table visual it repeats the field labels and creates a new row for each instance along with the value next to it. 

I am having this same issue, when I switch to a table format it shows me the field labels for every instance and the value assigned to each instance. How can I make it to where the field labels have their own row and the values assigned in different instances have their own column?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.