Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Matrix of past league finishes

I'm trying to produce a matrix visualisation of previous finishes in a league. I wish to have the league seasons as columns (for example the 2017 season, 2018 season, 2019 season. The rows should be the position, so 1st place, then 2nd place etc. (down to 12th). The values should be the name of the players that have finished in the respective position on the respective league season. For example in the 2018 season Lewis Hamilton is 1st, Sebastien Vettel 2nd etc., on the 2017 season Nico Rosberg is 1st, Lewis Hamilton 2nd etc.

I'm aware I need to manipulate my data further but what I have tried has so far failed. Below is a link to my source file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a1rt97428he91lg/League%20Matrix.pbix?dl=0

I'll explain my data structure here:

I have a table called results (back to my Formula 1 example, this records the outcome of each race). This includes the following columns:

Player

Tournament (date format)

Result (e.g. 1st)

Points (a lookup column to a Points table where by if the 'Result' is 1st, you get 16 points)

There is a tournaments table which provides a lookup column to the Seasons table

The tournament table also identify's the "tournament type" - I would like the tournament type "Grand Final" to be excluded from this visual.

So we have the number of points every player has gained in each tournament, and know which tournaments belong to each season. I need tog et from this point, to Sum all the points each player has gained per season, rank those (to know which player was in first, second place etc.) and then use that as part of my visual.

The intended end point would look something like:

-------- 2017 -- 2018 --- (for as many seasons as I have)

1st ---- Dave -- Lee 

2nd --- Lee ---- Steve

3rd --- Danny -- Laura

(down to 12th)

1 REPLY 1
v-cherch-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PetyrBaelish

I'm afraid i cannot fully understand it. Could you provide a simplified sample and expected output so that we could help further on it? 

Regards,

Cherie

Community Support Team _ Cherie Chen
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.