Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

djk1000
Frequent Visitor

Matrix measures on rows & calculated columns

Hi, I was wondering if this is possible,

I have a matrix with measures on rows and year on columns,  so the columns are 2016, 2017 for example. Each row ahas a measure showing a number for 2016 and 2017 for each measure. Is it possible to add a third calculated column to show for example, the difference in the measure between 2016 and 2017? Here is an example of what I mean:

Capture.PNG

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @djk1000,

In the matrix, when we add a measure to the matrix Values section, the measure values will display in each column group. It means the within 2016 group there will have a column, as well as the 2017 group. What we can do is making the columns under 2016 and 2017 group display blank, rather than remove them. 

In your scenario, you can create a measure like below: 

DiffPercentage = var Y2016= CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Year]=2016))
var Y2017= CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Year]=2017))
return
IF(SUM(Table1[Value])=SUMX(ALL(Table1),[Value])||SUM(Table1[Value])=SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[Category ]=MAX(Table1[Category ])),[Value]),DIVIDE(Y2017-Y2016,Y2016),BLANK())

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

kirtigupta1988_1-1638164915882.png

I want to filrer on count of mergerd column where it is greater than 1 - this is count of various underlying items. If i am applying filter on field it is taking adhoc- here i want to filter on subtotal

siemdevlieger
Helper I
Helper I

Hi,

I was wondering if this solution did really work for you? I have a similar matrich with approximately 20 measures in the rows (values displayed on rows), but not sure how to get now a column with the differences. If I would add the 'difference' cloumn also to the 'values' section it would appear on the row as well right?

PandL matrix Power BI.JPG

Regards,

Siem

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @djk1000,

In the matrix, when we add a measure to the matrix Values section, the measure values will display in each column group. It means the within 2016 group there will have a column, as well as the 2017 group. What we can do is making the columns under 2016 and 2017 group display blank, rather than remove them. 

In your scenario, you can create a measure like below: 

DiffPercentage = var Y2016= CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Year]=2016))
var Y2017= CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Value]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[Year]=2017))
return
IF(SUM(Table1[Value])=SUMX(ALL(Table1),[Value])||SUM(Table1[Value])=SUMX(FILTER(ALL(Table1),[Category ]=MAX(Table1[Category ])),[Value]),DIVIDE(Y2017-Y2016,Y2016),BLANK())

q2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

ho dow you hide the blank columns? 

I am trying to following what is in the posting and have got a far as below, it is coming up with a syntax for ',' is incorrect, I cannot see where the problem lies.

DiffPercentage = var Y2018=CALCULATE(SUM('Debtor Invoice Lines'[LINETOTAL]),FILTER('Debtor Invoice Lines','Debtor Invoice Lines'[Year]=2018)), var Y2019=CALCULATE(SUM('Debtor Invoice Lines'[LINETOTAL],FILTER('Debtor Invoice Lines','Debtor Invoice Lines'[LINETOTAL]=2019))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try a measure like this, or adjust it:

Δ 2017/2016 = 
CALCULATE (
    DIVIDE (
        SUM('table'[2017]);
        SUM('table'[2016])
    )
)

... and then convert to %

1.jpg

I don't think that will work, this is in a matrix and the 2016 & 2017 headings are from the year column in the date dimension. so the calculations are on row and the date dimension is on columns, I basically want to add a third 'Year' column that shows the difference between the other two.

Thanks,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @djk1000,

if I understood correctly, you can use SUMX to calculate on rows instead of SUM, "SUMX ( table ; table[column] )", on the other hand, if doesn't work, you can create a measure to filter 2017 and another to filter 2016, and then invoke in this measure instead of use Sum.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.