Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rachey
Regular Visitor

Matrix - hide column names

Hi

Is it possible to hide the names of the columns when displaying a Matrix? They clutter the visual and don't really add anything so I'm hoping I can get rid of them?

Cheers!

11 REPLIES 11
amhiggins
Frequent Visitor

It looks like there is an idea submitted to enable this functionality - upvote it at the link below if you need this functionality too.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=adea001c-fa96-4448-b242-21ed032f8f69 

psharm33
Regular Visitor

Hello

There is no way as such to hide particular column names in your matrix but you can try naming them with " " (i.e blank or space).
Could be used as a workaround.
Or you could just rename your column name with a single character (for e.g "i") and then change its font color as per the background. This would work too 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ,

Is there any solution to this problem ?

I am facing the same issue where i need to hide the column heading. So what i did was i am showing a measure (a text) on top of the coulmn heading. But when i print the report from Power BI service the column heading is also showing even though i have changed the font colors.

My column headings are dynamically changing so that i cannot simply rename the colunm headers.

Regards,

Maddy

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

I have come across the same requirement and below is the alternate solution i found.

Step1: Go to field formatting and change the font color to your matrix header color and don't forget to select the option "Apply to header". This will hide the text from the header as the text color matches the header color.

Step2: Now the values has the same color as your header, go to Fields tab and under field conditional formatting you can change the color of value to your previous value color.

I know, it has lot of work around, but this is the best solution i can think of as of now. Let me know, if it works!

Thank you,

Parac 

isn´t it the same as changing to white the header directly?

can you show us a picture example?

regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @makcim392 ,

If you change the header to white directly it will hide all the column headers and you wont be able to change the column header color to anything other than white.

With the preceding approach, you will be able to achieve the below output;

Hiding Column Header.PNG

Here I an hiding the column header "Sales" and "Profit". Hope it helps!

Regards,

Parac

jestevez
Advocate I
Advocate I

Column headers--> Font Color (White)

@Rachey There isn't an option in the actual formatting options, but you could create a rectangle shape and change it to match your background and just cover the column names... Not optimal, but it would work.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

covering column header with shape doesn't work if visual pinned to dashboard ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@devenchj 

Answer is no

@Rachey

We may actually get some formatting options with the April Update.

So you may (or may not) be able to do this in a few days - 5 days left in April.

Until then Eno1978's suggestion will have to do.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.