Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hammerblue
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix formatting in 2018 september demo

Does anyone know how they made the matrix table shown in the 2018 september demo? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/sv-se/blog/power-bi-desktop-august-2018-feature-summary/

Specifically how value rows are a different background color from the subtotal rows (when drilled down you can see that the category is white and the subcategories are grey).

I downloaded the pbix and have been trying to get it to work in my own reports. I can make the values change bg color but not the row headers (checking "apply to label" for example does nothing).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @hammerblue,

Please refer to the snapshot below. Set the 1 and 2 Grey and the 3 White.

Matrix_formatting_in_2018_september_demo2

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hammerblue,

I didn't see anything like that in the link. Can you make it more clear, please?

I think it's better to leave the subtotals alone. Because they belong to the different levels. It will be misleading if we apply the color to the lower levels. For example, if the values are the redder the higher, the subtotal will be very red. But it should be compared with the lower levels. 

Matrix_formatting_in_2018_september_demo

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, i was having trouble inserting an image when I made the post. this is what the table looks like:

table.PNG

Notice that the labels for the subtotals "Home Appliances" and "Computers" are white while the other rows are grey. This is what i'm trying to replicate in my report.

Hi @hammerblue,

Please refer to the snapshot below. Set the 1 and 2 Grey and the 3 White.

Matrix_formatting_in_2018_september_demo2

Best Regards,
Dale

I'm gonna accept this as the solution because it is indeed how you do it, but it still doesn't work for me.. When set the background and alternate background color for values to the same color value it defaults back to white for the row headers for some reason, but not the values... i suspect it's a bug having to do with the fact i'm using a custom theme.

I've set the background and alternate background colors to the same gray as the values, yet they turn white.

table2.PNG

Hi @hammerblue,

Can it work when you set up the Row headers in the settings?

Matrix_formatting_in_2018_september_demo3

Best Regards,
Dale

No, that turns the entire column of row headers into that color.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.