Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix drill-down > subtotal from multiple columns

Hey,

I have a problem showing the correct subtotals in a matrix when drilling down to the next level.

What I have

2 datasets:

• Tasks, containing - among others - the following columns:
    • Task ID (link to other dataset)
    • Task Name
    • Task Budget
  • Sub-tasks, containing - among others - the following columns:
    • Sub-task ID
    • Sub-task name
    • Sub-task budget
    • Task ID (link to other dataset)

Now, what I want to do is show a matrix listing all the Task names as rows, and their respective data (e.g. budget).

As second row level in the matrix I use Sub-tasks. In each row I want to show several metrics, mostly based on the budget, like budget left, required per day, etc. 

In my current setup however, I use the sum of Task budget as my leading budget amount. So, firstly the Task budget is carried over when I expand to the next level, like in the figure below:

PowerBi Table.png

Now the sub-task budget sometimes has a value, and sometimes doesn't. So the budget has to be calculated conditionally I guess.

Ideally, I want to have:

• the task budget always shown (when expanded it is shown as subtotal)
  • the sub-task budget shown when it has a value in the dataset
  • the sub-task budget not show any thing when it has no value in the dataset.

Can anybody help me achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous,

Create the following measures in  the projects table.

sum of task budget = SUM(tasks[Task Budget])

sum of project budget = CALCULATE(SUM(projects[Project Budget]),FILTER(projects,CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(tasks,tasks[Project ID]=RELATED(projects[Project ID])))>0)))
Budget = IF(ISBLANK([sum of task budget]),[sum of project budget],[sum of task budget])

1.JPG
Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Could you please help to post dummy data of the above two tables and post expected result based on the dummy data here?

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

Please find the pbix file containing the dummy data here: https://we.tl/aE9nawgnR8. I used a wetransfer link because I couldn't find a way to add a .pbix as attachment.

Now what I get is:

IST.jpg

And what I want is this:

SOLL.jpg

So, I want to still show all the project budgets, and want to show only the task budgets if they have a value. Also, it is important to have it in 1 column since I will be needing a lot of other metrics that are based on the budget (in a certain row).

I hope this clarifies it a bit more.

@Anonymous,

Create the following measures in  the projects table.

sum of task budget = SUM(tasks[Task Budget])

sum of project budget = CALCULATE(SUM(projects[Project Budget]),FILTER(projects,CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(FILTER(tasks,tasks[Project ID]=RELATED(projects[Project ID])))>0)))
Budget = IF(ISBLANK([sum of task budget]),[sum of project budget],[sum of task budget])

1.JPG
Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msft thanks!

Works like a charm.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.