Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

R3muS10
Frequent Visitor

Matrix columns and rows

Hello.

I am new user to power bi. 

I tried to make a matrix with some database entries but it seems I can't get this right... I read almost everything about this on the forums and tutorials and I couldn't get anything to work.

Noname.png

As the picture above is showing (a "matrix" created in Excel) I need to create some rows that are stored in the database with the names showed there and on columns I have some city names that I need to be stored there.

How can I create this on a matrix visualization ? Any tips on how can I do it are deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@v-yuezhe-msft With a little bit of help of your screen shot I managed to make my Matrix visual in Power BI. All I needed to do was to un-pivot some columns in the database query and worked my way around that. I kept using the pivot and I didn't realize what was not working.

@dkay84_PowerBI Thank you for this tip. I created the columns ( Attributes & Values ) with the unpivot columns.

Thank you for the help that you provided 🙂 .

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @R3muS10,

How do you store data in your original table? It is easy to create a Matrix visual in Power BI Desktop if you have sample data shown in the following scrrenshot.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft With a little bit of help of your screen shot I managed to make my Matrix visual in Power BI. All I needed to do was to un-pivot some columns in the database query and worked my way around that. I kept using the pivot and I didn't realize what was not working.

@dkay84_PowerBI Thank you for this tip. I created the columns ( Attributes & Values ) with the unpivot columns.

Thank you for the help that you provided 🙂 .

Using the Matrix visualization in Power BI, you would put City Names in columns, value fields (i.e. salary, salaryworked, etc.) in the values option, and possibly need to create a new column with the names of your value fields which you would add to the rows option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.