Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Peter_
Resolver I
Resolver I

Matrix chart with dates in columns and one summary column at the end?

Hi,

How would I go about creating a Matrix type chart where there are N columns with cost for each month going back from today and one extra summary column showing % change of the current month since a month before ? For example:

--------| Cost October 2018 | Cost November 2018 | Cost Today | % change

Item 1 |

Item 2 |

I see two options which don't quite do the trick:

1) Put a date column into Columns field in a Matrix chart and Cost and % change columns into Values field. This enumerates both Values items for each date. I only need the % change to be there once and at the end. 

2) Create a measure for each month and put all in as Values. This does create layout I want, but it doesn't specify a date in the column name. 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Peter_

As of now Power BI does not have any feature, you can vote for this idea on Power BI Ideas forum.

However I can suggest for a workarround where you can use card visual to be used as column labels.

You can use the following measures to create the labels

Label1 = "Cost " &  FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),1),"MMMM") & " " & YEAR(NOW())
Label2 = "Cost " &  FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW())-1,1),"MMMM") & " " & FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW())-1,1),"YYYY")

You can see the image below for further clarity.dynamic labels.png

I have also uploaded the sample file which you can download for testing

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
affan
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Peter_

Your option 2 should work perfect. Once you are creating individual measure for each month then what issue are you facing to put the month name in the measure name?

Regards,

Affan

Hi Affan,

Doing that requires to rename each month's measure name each time we move onto a next month in the report so it doesn't really scale long term.

Peter

@Peter_

As of now Power BI does not have any feature, you can vote for this idea on Power BI Ideas forum.

However I can suggest for a workarround where you can use card visual to be used as column labels.

You can use the following measures to create the labels

Label1 = "Cost " &  FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW()),1),"MMMM") & " " & YEAR(NOW())
Label2 = "Cost " &  FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW())-1,1),"MMMM") & " " & FORMAT(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),MONTH(NOW())-1,1),"YYYY")

You can see the image below for further clarity.dynamic labels.png

I have also uploaded the sample file which you can download for testing

If this helped you, please mark this post as an accepted solution and like to give KUDOS .

Regards,

Affan

Thank you for the workaround Affan, that'll be perfect! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.