Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix and total for one column...

Hi All,

I have been googling for an answer to with a Matrix I want to just show one or two totals. I have turned off subtotal for rows and I read something about turning off group total but can not find it. Basically I want

id     name  deposit

1      mark    100

total             300

2       sue      200

total             1500

I hope this makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on my research, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

d1.png

You may create a measure as  follows.

DepositValue = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Deposit]),
    BLANK(),
    SUM('Table'[Deposit])
)

Then you can make the matrix visual selected, go to 'Format' ribbon, click 'Row headers', uncheck 'Stepped layout', then click 'Subtotals', check 'Row subtotals' and 'Per row level', finally set Id and Name as Off and Deposit as On.

d2.png

d3.png

d4.png

Finally you need to confirm that 'show data without item' is checked. Here is the result.

d5.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on my research, I created data to reproduce your scenario.

d1.png

You may create a measure as  follows.

DepositValue = 
IF(
    ISFILTERED('Table'[Deposit]),
    BLANK(),
    SUM('Table'[Deposit])
)

Then you can make the matrix visual selected, go to 'Format' ribbon, click 'Row headers', uncheck 'Stepped layout', then click 'Subtotals', check 'Row subtotals' and 'Per row level', finally set Id and Name as Off and Deposit as On.

d2.png

d3.png

d4.png

Finally you need to confirm that 'show data without item' is checked. Here is the result.

d5.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Please provide sample data, sample output you want.

In between refer to this :https://www.burningsuit.co.uk/blog/2019/04/7-secrets-of-the-matrix-visual/

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying I supplied the example output the input would just be all the columns have the value repeated as shown.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Sample source data would help. There is an option for row headers to turn off stepped layout, which may be what you are looing for. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the options for the Matrix there is a section called "Subtotals".  Under that section is a toggle called "Per Row Level" and "Per Column Level".  Toggling either of these on will give you options to change which levels of your rows/columns will have totals.

These are a fairly new addition to Power BI, so make sure you have the latest version of Power BI Desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Many Thanks!

I have the Febuary version of Power BI Desktop (not the app store veresion) for using for the cloud tenant and it only has Row subtotals which I have turned  off but no columnsubtotals under the subtotals.

Is the column subtotals somewhere else?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.