Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix Visual columns widths correct in Desktop wrong in Publisher

When I develop my report in the Desktop Version all my matrix visuals display the values properly in the columns.  However when I publish the report to the Publisher the columns widths are incorrect:

Darksky_0-1594073208905.png

or they look like this.

Darksky_1-1594073263602.png

Or they are in 2 places...

Darksky_2-1594073802490.png

Or three...

Darksky_3-1594073949839.png

Seems like the "error" is always in the totals, and I have left plenty of space for the matrix to display the data in the horizontal and vertical "axis" (plenty of white space surrounding the values).

I have tried auto sizing the column header, turning on/off word wrap in the column header, I have turned word wrap on and off in the values format section.  With all kinds of combinations of the above...

In the publisher, some pages in the report with matrix visuals are fine, some have one of these width errors, some have multiple width errors.  If there are multiple errors they are always of the same type as shown above (3 columns with the ellipses OR 3 cloumns with the last number dropped to the next "row".  As I cycle through some of the slicers, the column error will move to a different column, or sometimes disappear as the results change due to the slicer selection changing.  Sometimes it happens in the rows, sometimes in the row totals.

Have generated numerous reports with the data I am using and this problem just popped up for this one specific report.

Thanks for any help on this issue,

Darksky

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

If your columns are very tight vs the width they need to be, this can happen. The problem is your desktop app is using one font and rendering on your PC. The service is using the font but rendering in your browser, and it can be off a bit. Your best bet is to just make the column a bit wider than perceived to be necessary on your PC.

This is the same thing that happens when you have a nice Excel report on your PC and you print it and you get a few ####### numbers on your printout.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

edhans
Super User
Super User

If your columns are very tight vs the width they need to be, this can happen. The problem is your desktop app is using one font and rendering on your PC. The service is using the font but rendering in your browser, and it can be off a bit. Your best bet is to just make the column a bit wider than perceived to be necessary on your PC.

This is the same thing that happens when you have a nice Excel report on your PC and you print it and you get a few ####### numbers on your printout.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks edhans,

I will spread out my columns a bit and see if this clears up the issue, and report back to you. 

My other thought was that the Totals along the bottom and on the right of the matrix are in bold versus what is in the rows, so they would need a pinch more space.   

Seems like computers should be smart enough nowadays to figure this out all by themselves...Especially when a Microsoft product is being displayed in a Microsoft browser...

Darksky  

Anonymous
Not applicable

So all the values and totals show up on one row now.  Will be interesting to see if the solution holds as more data comes in as the columns can have a value between $0 and $XX,000,000.  And of course, the matrix visual looks weird with columns of all different widths.  Sure would be nice if there was a way to set all the columns to a width that would hold $99,999,999 even if all the rows have much smaller numbers (like you can in Excel).

Thanks again for the quick fix as everybody in my organization has been frustrated with the awful display of the numbers.

See this video from DataVeld that may help with column widths @Anonymous 
Even if it doesn't 100% apply to your scenario, it is good to watch and know you are not the only one frustrated with column width issues.

If one of these posts addresses your problem, please mark it as the solution so others can find it and know the thread is closed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.