Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shr_sday
Regular Visitor

Matrix Visual Hierarchy Issues

Somewhat new to Power BI and DAX and everything, so please forgive my ignorance. I am trying to build a Matrix table to view JIRA tickets. I want to group tickets by the Epic to which they are associated. The way the data come from JIRA, I have a row per ticket. One of the columns in that row is the 'Key' which is the unique identifier that everyone knows for a particular JIRA issue. A different column is 'EpicLink' which is the key of the issue that is the parent. 

KeyIssueTypeSummaryDescriptionStatusEpicLink
TEST-123EpicMain Test IssueDescription of Main Test IssueIn ProgressTEST-123
TEST-124TaskSupporting TaskThis is a task for the main EpicTo DoTEST-123
TEST-125BugBug in Main EpicThis is a bug that is logged against the main EpicTo DoTEST-123

I have created a hierarchy in Power BI that has the 'EpicLink' as the top level and then the 'Key' as the child. When doing so, I get this when it is expanded:

TEST-123     
TEST-124TaskSupporting TaskThis is a task for the main EpicTo DoTEST-123
TEST-125BugBug in Main EpicThis is a bug that is logged against the main EpicTo DoTEST-123
TEST-123EpicMain Test IssueDescription of Main Test IssueIn ProgressTEST-123

and then I get this when it is collapsed:

TEST-123TaskSupporting TaskThis is a task for the main EpicTo Do

TEST-123

It pulls the supporting data from the first record it finds. How can I build the hierarchy so that the proper info for the Epic is copied across, regardless if it is expanded or collapsed? Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @shr_sday ,

I think you may need to create the following 5 measures:

Measure IssueType = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[IssueType])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[IssueType]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Summary = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Summary])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Summary]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Description = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Description])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Description]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Status = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Status])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Status]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure EpicLink = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[EpicLink])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[EpicLink]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))

Results are as follows:

21.PNG

Here is a demo, please try it

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EertCMfbUNFMqcqfIK...

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @shr_sday ,

I think you may need to create the following 5 measures:

Measure IssueType = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[IssueType])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[IssueType]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Summary = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Summary])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Summary]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Description = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Description])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Description]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure Status = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Status])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[Status]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))
Measure EpicLink = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Key]),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[EpicLink])),CALCULATE(MAX('Table'[EpicLink]),'Table'[IssueType]="Epic"))

Results are as follows:

21.PNG

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EertCMfbUNFMqcqfIK...

Best Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Sorry, one last question. I implemented your mechanism for the matrix visual I have with the real data and it worked great except for one column. I have three columns: Original Estimate, Time Spent, Percent of Original Estimate. The first two are decimals and the third is a measure:

Percent of OE =
VAR __BASELINE_VALUE = SUM('GetIssues'[timeoriginalestimate])
VAR __VALUE_TO_COMPARE = SUM('GetIssues'[Time Spent])
RETURN
    IF(
        NOT ISBLANK(__VALUE_TO_COMPARE),
        (DIVIDE(__VALUE_TO_COMPARE, __BASELINE_VALUE)
    ))

The Calculate mechanism you are using doesn't work with the measure. Thoughts on how we can carry up the value of the proper measure? Sorry for the hassle...

Hi @shr_sday ,

I am not sure if I fully understand what you mean, you can try the following measure:

Measure Percent of OE = IF(ISINSCOPE('GetIssues'[Key]),CALCULATE([Percent of OE]),CALCULATE([Percent of OE],'GetIssues'[IssueType]="Epic"))

Results are as follows:32.PNG

https://qiuyunus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/pbipro_qiuyunus_onmicrosoft_com/EchKBNJGxHRCtduyuJ...

Best Regards,

Sorry for the tardy response. Been on vacation.  🙂

I ultimately got it to work by changing the way I was calculating the Original Estimate and Time Spent columns. Once i got this calculating for the whole group properly, the percentage just worked as expected. Thank you once again for your efforts and the fantastic examples!

This is perfect! Thank you very much for the amazingly prompt response and the thorough example. I could not have asked for anything more!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.