Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix Table - Show Next Level

Hi Data Nuts!

I am having an issue I haven't been able to solve and am eliciting your assistance, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Matrix that is showing correct past year when there is data in the current period, when there is not, it displays a blank instead of the data.  (In my examples I have added + 0 to show the blanks as a zero).

Here are the Measures:

ArrivalsTAV =
    CALCULATE(
        COUNTA(MergedReportData[ID]) + 0

ArrivalsTAV-1 =
CALCULATE ([ArrivalsTAV],ALLEXCEPT (
        MergedReportData,
        MergedReportData[TravelPurpose],
        MergedReportData[TravelPurposeGroup]),
    ( PARALLELPERIOD(MergedReportData[ArrivalDt],-12,MONTH))) + 0

When 2017 for example is selected I see the data for the current period and prior (2016)
2016 2017
TAV2017.JPG
When I change my slicer to 2018 these values should shift to prior years as the top two rows do
tav2018.JPG
Note the top two rows behaved correctly and the bottom row (Americas Cup) did not, there is no data in 2018 for this category and the prior periods became blanks.
Also Note the the totals are correct for the prior years and behind the scene the data is being calculated while not being displayed.

PS - The + 0 added to the measures has been removed and tested with the result of blanks instead of zero's

The date is correct and there are no gaps, this I can't see as the issue as all other calculations are correct when current period data exists

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

5 REPLIES 5
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You can create column Year in table MergedReportData, and create calculated table Year dimension , and keep it to be unrelated to source data table.  Then create measures ArrivalsTAV and ArrivalsTAV -1 .

Year= YEAR(MergedReportData[ArrivalDt])

Year dimension = VALUES(MergedReportData[Year])

ArrivalsTAV =
IF (
   SELECTEDVALUE ( MergedReportData[Year] )
       = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Year dimension'[Year] ),
   CALCULATE (
       COUNTA(MergedReportData[ID]) + 0,
       FILTER (
           ALLSELECTED ( MergedReportData ),
           MergedReportData[Year] = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Year dimension'[Year] )
       )
   )
)

ArrivalsTAV -1 =
IF (
   SELECTEDVALUE ( MergedReportData[Year] )
       = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Year dimension'[Year] ),
   CALCULATE (
       COUNTA(MergedReportData[ID]) + 0,
       FILTER (
           ALLSELECTED ( MergedReportData ),
           MergedReportData[Year]
               = SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Year dimension'[Year] ) - 1
       )
   )
)

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am giving this one a shot and will let you know how it goes, thank you!

@Anonymous do you have date dimension in your model? Is it marked as date table?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous can you try one small quick change, replace parallelperiod with dateadd, let's what result we get and then we can go from there.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the idea - changed to DATEADD and the effect is the same

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.