Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shaunwilks
Helper V
Helper V

Matrix Table - Show Next Level

Hopefully an easy one to explain. I have data in the following structure

If I Drill Up to the highest point the matrix displays Category 1-6 - Correct

If I use the "Expand All Down One Level" button it displays as its shown below - Correct

If I click the "Drill Mode = On" to turn it on and select any category - It correctly drills into that category only showing the sub categories for that category.

HOWEVER If i click the "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy" button OR right click and "Show Next Level" on any category...

the matrix removes all the "Category" labels and only shows me the sub categories that were part of Category 4. And its always category 4. None of the other sub categories display. 

Why is the matrix treating only the sub categorys for one particular category as the "Next Level".

When Expand all Down one level works I find it incredibly strange that it applies a filter over the "Next Level" when I try using that feature.

Category 1

Sub Category 1

Sub Category 2

Sub Category 3

Category 2

Sub Category 4

Sub Category 5

Sub Category 6

Category 3

Sub Category 7

Sub Category 8

Sub Category 9

Category 4

Sub Category 10

Sub Category 11

Sub Category 12

Category 5

Sub Category 13

Sub Category 14

Sub Category 15

Category 6

Sub Category 16

Sub Category 17

Sub Category 18

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @shaunwilks,

Firstly, you should basically understand the difference between the "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy" and "Expand All Down One Level" and what is the need for something like these to be present separately.

As per the Microsoft described functionality, the "Expand All Down One Level" option is to expand all the categories down by one level keeping in track the previous step before drill down.

i.e. Assume that we have a Vertical Bar Chart. You have data at Year and Month level.

If you are drilling down from year to month, "Expand All Down One Level" is going to show your category label before drill down as just Years say 2016, 2017 but after drill down as 2016 Apr, 2016 May, 2017 Apr, 2017 May (assuming that I have data only for Apr and May in the 2 years). Here you will have 4 Vertical Bars Visible

On the other hand when you do "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy", while drilling down the Chart loses tract of the previous level in the hierarchy and just traverses to the New Level and groups the data by it. 

i.e. If you are display data at the level of Year, you will have two bars, one for 2016 and the other for 2017. Now if you "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy", your chart will still show 2 Bars, one for Apr and One for May. This is because in the first level the data was grouped by Year, while in the Next Level the data is grouped by Month irrespective of year.

The Below picture shows the same

drill.PNG

Hope my explanation is clear!!!

View solution in original post

Hi @shaunwilks,

When you enable Drill Down option (Down Arrow) and Click on a Category, it means that you want to navigate down only on that Category item. 

In the Same example you have provided, After enable Drill Down if you click on Quarter Q3, it means go to next level only on that category item Q3 only. So it will show only the months that are under Q3

Instead if you simply click on "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy" it will navigate to the next level with out any restrictions on the Quarter. i.e. It will show the data for all the Quarters together grouped by Month

But from the scenario you say, I don't really think that's an issue with the Go to next level option in Power BI. 

So if you can share the file with this issue and having some sample data, it will help to further help on this issue

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Thejeswar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @shaunwilks,

Firstly, you should basically understand the difference between the "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy" and "Expand All Down One Level" and what is the need for something like these to be present separately.

As per the Microsoft described functionality, the "Expand All Down One Level" option is to expand all the categories down by one level keeping in track the previous step before drill down.

i.e. Assume that we have a Vertical Bar Chart. You have data at Year and Month level.

If you are drilling down from year to month, "Expand All Down One Level" is going to show your category label before drill down as just Years say 2016, 2017 but after drill down as 2016 Apr, 2016 May, 2017 Apr, 2017 May (assuming that I have data only for Apr and May in the 2 years). Here you will have 4 Vertical Bars Visible

On the other hand when you do "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy", while drilling down the Chart loses tract of the previous level in the hierarchy and just traverses to the New Level and groups the data by it. 

i.e. If you are display data at the level of Year, you will have two bars, one for 2016 and the other for 2017. Now if you "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy", your chart will still show 2 Bars, one for Apr and One for May. This is because in the first level the data was grouped by Year, while in the Next Level the data is grouped by Month irrespective of year.

The Below picture shows the same

drill.PNG

Hope my explanation is clear!!!

I am trying really hard to understand but are struggling. My apologies.

If level one was quarters Q1, Q2, Q3 and Q4 and the lowest level was Month, I wouldnt expect that option to just show months Jul, Aug, Sept.  I would expect the option to show all montsh Jan - Dec.

This is what is happening to me.

Effectively if I right click on for "Show Nexct Level" on Q2, its shows the Q3 months.

If I right click on for "Show Nexct Level" on Q1, its shows the Q3 months.

If I right click on for "Show Nexct Level" on Q4, its shows the Q3 months.

If I use the Go to nect level in heirarchy from the most drilled up point, its showing on Q3.

Thats the point I dont get why it always only drills to the one level of hierarchy.

Hi @shaunwilks,

When you enable Drill Down option (Down Arrow) and Click on a Category, it means that you want to navigate down only on that Category item. 

In the Same example you have provided, After enable Drill Down if you click on Quarter Q3, it means go to next level only on that category item Q3 only. So it will show only the months that are under Q3

Instead if you simply click on "Go To Next Level in the Hierarchy" it will navigate to the next level with out any restrictions on the Quarter. i.e. It will show the data for all the Quarters together grouped by Month

But from the scenario you say, I don't really think that's an issue with the Go to next level option in Power BI. 

So if you can share the file with this issue and having some sample data, it will help to further help on this issue

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.