Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KervBruce
Helper I
Helper I

Matrix Table Layout

Hi,

Today I was puzzled by the layout of a matrix table I created.

My data has a number of columns including a date/time, there is no single unique column to act as a primary key but every row is unique so a compound key could be defined if I needed it.

The two matrix tables below are the same except that the one on the left has the date as a hierarchy and the one on the right has the date as a value.

Why then does the table on the right show multiple rows of the same date, whist the one on the left collects them all together?  The time for each date is the same in hhmmss so it isn't that.

KervBruce_0-1663684633097.png

Any guidance much appreciated.  Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
alena2k
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

@KervBruce can you get to the source before any Change Type was applied and see if there are milliseconds there? It would explain this. Even when we see datetime formatted to date or to seconds, milliseconds would still make it different.

Also try this: in the Format menu change Data type to Text and then back to Date. That "lost" my milliseconds.

Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @KervBruce ,

I don't see such behaviour at my end.

Matrix without date hierarchy:

Pragati11_0-1663685324203.png

Matrix with Date Hierarchy:

Pragati11_1-1663685373732.png

Can you please add more details to your matrix visual specially around what all is moved to the visual like I have in my screenshots above?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

Matrix without date hierarchy

KervBruce_0-1663687194999.png

Matrix withdate hierarchy

KervBruce_1-1663687254040.png

Hi @KervBruce ,

Not sure why you have Build column moved to the RowsB section in your both matrix visuals.

This is what is causing the issue. I am sure if you remove this column from Rows section, you will not see those additional rows.

Pragati11_0-1663687512435.png

Can you please try and confirm that it works after removing BuildB column from the Rows section of matrix visual?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

No, not at all, because I still don't understand why I have 4 rows for the 2nd September as a value but one row for the 2nd September  in a hierarchy.

KervBruce_0-1663691488672.png

I put Build in the rows to understand what was going on, here it is with it removed.

KervBruce_0-1663688687740.png

Hi @KervBruce ,

So is the isue resolved because keeping build column was not adding any insights to your matrix visual earier?

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

No, not at all, because I still don't understand why I have 4 rows for the 2nd September as a value but one row for the 2nd September  in a hierarchy.

KervBruce_0-1663691488672.png

(sorry, posted my earlier response in the wrong place)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors