Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix Table: Average in Row and Sum in Column Header

Hi everyone,

I have a matrix table, where I calculate the average per row using a measure. But in the column header, I need to sum the average values. 

Here is an example of what I would like to accomplish:

image.png

The column M_SumOEE * is a measure with the following formula: 

M_SumOee = SUM('FactOee'[Oee])

Cells with blue background are summarized per shift because I can have multiple records per shifts. OEE per shift is an absolute percentage value, so I need to sum it.

Any idea how I can calculate the average of all summarizes values (blue background) and show the value in the row header (orange background)?

Thanks in advance and greetings

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Create a measure as below;

Measure = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Date]),'Table'[M_SUMOEE],SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Machine]),'Table'[M_SUMOEE]))

And you will see:

Screenshot 2020-09-21 162835.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Create a measure as below;

Measure = IF(ISINSCOPE('Table'[Date]),'Table'[M_SUMOEE],SUMX(VALUES('Table'[Machine]),'Table'[M_SUMOEE]))

And you will see:

Screenshot 2020-09-21 162835.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-kelly-msft,

I'm sorry for my late reply. Thank you the provided pbix. Unfortunately the measure seems not to work as I expect. I've added an addition row to the table (see red mark below).  

Michael__0-1602632213008.png

That is the result in the table

Michael__1-1602632349495.png

Instead of 0.45 (second row, column Average), the value must be 0.9 (0.8 + 0.1). The average value in the header should be 0.74 ((0.9 + 0.78 + 0.55) / 3).

Thanks and regards

Michael

PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Can you please provide a sample dataset or, even better, a sample PBIX file?

Can you please also clarify the calculations you wish to see for blue and orange highlights?

In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @PaulDBrown,

thanks for your answer.

I cannot prvide the pbix, but some addition information you requested. Thats the table where the data comes from.

Michael__0-1600440107582.png

It a simple fact table. Each column which ends with SK, hat a relation to a dimension table. The column Oee and GoodPartAmount are used for calculations.

Blue = Sum of all OEE values per Machine and Shift

Orange = Average of all blue cells for that specific machine and all shifts per machine.

Regards

Michael

mhossain
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

@Anonymous 

Please check this link

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/SUM-of-AVERAGE/td-p/197013

You want Sum and then avg of Sum, in the able link expert has provided the solution for Avg and then sum of Avg. So you can change the logic accordingly.

Please let me know if this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mhossain,

I'm not sure how this will solve my problem. How do I get the value only into the Row Header per Group?

Regards

Michael

@Anonymous 

Suggestion was to calculate your Sum in the calculated column, so you have sum value for Day/Night etc level, now you create just one measure with Avergage aggregation, and in matrix table, subtotal will show Avg, and for Day/Night Avg will be individual numbers which is sum in your calculated column. Hope this makes sense.

It could have been easier with sample dummy pbix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mhossain 

The pbix unfortunately contains sensitive data. Is there any way to alter the data in Power BI? Otherwise, I have to alter the data in the datasource and then import it to Power BI.

Regards

Michael

@Anonymous 

One way is to create dummy tables in Excel with equivalent columns (dummy names and values) and use these to replicate the model in PBI. We only need the tables you are using in the matrix (Dimension and fact tables). No need for the whole model.

the tables can be short of course: no need for thousands of rows. 
it is helpful to understand the structure, relationships, hierarchies etc. it may also be useful to check that the actual results are what you are expecting.

also probably simpler than actually altering the original data.

In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors