Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

yushengsoon
Regular Visitor

Matrix Rows not grouping properly

Hi,

Usually when using a Matrix, the values will get summarised (in my case I used SUM) based on the Row name. However, in my instance, it doesn't, i.e. it will show a duplicate value

Name     Column1 Column2

A                    123       0

A                     0           256

Instead of

Name     Column1 Column2

A                    123       256

Has anyone encountered this before and how did you work around it?

A little bit more detail, in the column "Name" has 1787 distinct values out of 82992 rows (not that I think these numbers would have prevented Power BI from performing the summarisation)

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Guavaq,

Visually there wasn't anything we could see different between both columns. The only conclusion was data corruption but somehow excel pivot table is fine but Power BI matrix doesn't. The final solution was to reimport the data from the original system into excel (no connectors to Power BI) and then refresh it in Power BI; this then suddenly magically worked..... 🙂 Thanks for your swift response though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @yushengsoon

Can you confirm that your data type is set to a value that can SUM? (Whole Number, Decimal Number, etc...)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi guavaq,

Yes, they are in Currency. If I change the Row Name to a different column to group by it works, but when I switch it back it doesn't.

Ok thanks, then it would indicate that there is something different with the different columns?

I would suggest having a look at what is different between the columns that do work and do not work. As without having a sample of your real data that is the best I can suggest.

Power BI Blog

Hi Guavaq,

Visually there wasn't anything we could see different between both columns. The only conclusion was data corruption but somehow excel pivot table is fine but Power BI matrix doesn't. The final solution was to reimport the data from the original system into excel (no connectors to Power BI) and then refresh it in Power BI; this then suddenly magically worked..... 🙂 Thanks for your swift response though.

Glad you got it working 🙂

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.