Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rantonucci
Regular Visitor

Matrix Problems

Hey PBI community,

I have been using power BI Desktop for a while now. However, Ive been trying to make a budget in a matrix.
kinda like this: 

jan-17jan-17jan-17feb-17feb-17feb-17so on..so on..so on..
 BUDGETREALDESVBUDGETREALDESVBUDGETREALDESV
IncomeX1X2X3X4X5X6X7X8X9
CostsY1Y2Y3Y4Y5Y6Y7Y8Y9
Margin %Z1Z2Z3Z4Z5Z6Z7Z8Z9

Income and costs come from different tables, which has different columns for Budget and Real.
Hence, I want this matrix to show something like this, however, the categories for income and costs are different so the matrix can not display exactly this format.  keep in mind that income has sub-categories as well as costs. 

I know that I can do this with measures but it would not be so practical, since i would have make 3(budget,real,desv) x 12(months) measures and also Tthey stay fixed in the matrix. 

Thank you for your help!!

Rodrigo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Rantonucci,

As I tested, if your income and cost tables have the same structure, you can append them to one, and create a matrix visual using the new one.

1. I create income and cost sample table as follows.

INCOMEINCOMECOSTCOST
2. In query editor, click Append query as new, you will get a new combined table.

4.PNG3.PNG

3. Create a matirx, select CATEGORY_IN as x-axis, MONTH as COLUMN, the BUGET_IN and REAL_IN as value level, you will get the expected result.

desired resultdesired result

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Rantonucci
Regular Visitor

Hey PBI community,

I have been using power BI Desktop for a while now. However, Ive been trying to make a budget in a matrix.
kinda like this: 

jan-17jan-17jan-17feb-17feb-17feb-17so on..so on..so on..
 BUDGETREALDESVBUDGETREALDESVBUDGETREALDESV
IncomeX1X2X3X4X5X6X7X8X9
CostsY1Y2Y3Y4Y5Y6Y7Y8Y9
Margin %Z1Z2Z3Z4Z5Z6Z7Z8Z9

Income and costs come from different tables, which has different columns for Budget and Real.
Hence, I want this matrix to show something like this, however, the categories for income and costs are different so the matrix can not display exactly this format.  keep in mind that income has sub-categories as well as costs. 

I know that I can do this with measures but it would not be so practical, since i would have make 3(budget,real,desv) x 12(months) measures and also Tthey stay fixed in the matrix. 

Thank you for your help!!

Rodrigo

Hi @Rantonucci,

What do your source table look like? Could you please share your sample data for further analysis? So that we can post the solution which is close to your requirement.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thank you for your response!

Here's an example:

MONTH CLIENTCATEGORY_INSUBCATEGORY_INBUDGET_INREAL_IN
ene-17GO-BANKINCOMEAPPS-FIN          10.976   13.724
feb-17CATERPILLARINCOMEAPPS-CLOTHES          12.740   13.504
mar-17JOHNSONSINCOMEAPPS-CLOTHES          12.388   14.902
WALLMARTINCOMEPRODUCTS          11.350   11.089

Keep in mind that income and costs come from different tables. Costs table look very similar and it has different column names, but the structure is the same.

Rodrigo 

Hi @Rantonucci,

As I tested, if your income and cost tables have the same structure, you can append them to one, and create a matrix visual using the new one.

1. I create income and cost sample table as follows.

INCOMEINCOMECOSTCOST
2. In query editor, click Append query as new, you will get a new combined table.

4.PNG3.PNG

3. Create a matirx, select CATEGORY_IN as x-axis, MONTH as COLUMN, the BUGET_IN and REAL_IN as value level, you will get the expected result.

desired resultdesired result

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thats Clever and it works just fine. 

Thank you!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.