Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix - Percent change between columns

Hello,

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is possible. I have a matrix visualization comparing product growth YTD vs. Prior YTD. I want to show the percentage difference in a separate column. I want it to look like below:

Product2018 YTD2019 YTD% Difference
Product15860%
Product2108(20%)

How do I accomplish this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First create a new table as below:

Annotation 2020-02-10 123034.png

Then create 2 measures as below:

Measure 2 = 
var c=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[2018 YTD])
var d=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[2019 YTD])
Return
 IF(d>c,FORMAT(DIVIDE(d-c,c),"percent"),CONCATENATE("("&FORMAT(DIVIDE(c-d,c),"percent"),")"))
Measure = 
var a =SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Product])
var b=SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])
Return
SWITCH(TRUE(),a="Product1"&&b="2018YTD","5",a="Product1"&&b="2019YTD","8",a="Product1"&&b="% Difference",'Table (2)'[Measure 2],a="Product2"&&b="2018YTD","10",a="Product2"&&b="2019YTD","8",a="Product2"&&b="% Difference",'Table (2)'[Measure 2])

Finally you will see :

Annotation 2020-02-10 123611.png

For the related .pbix file,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

First create a new table as below:

Annotation 2020-02-10 123034.png

Then create 2 measures as below:

Measure 2 = 
var c=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[2018 YTD])
var d=SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[2019 YTD])
Return
 IF(d>c,FORMAT(DIVIDE(d-c,c),"percent"),CONCATENATE("("&FORMAT(DIVIDE(c-d,c),"percent"),")"))
Measure = 
var a =SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Product])
var b=SELECTEDVALUE('Table (2)'[Column1])
Return
SWITCH(TRUE(),a="Product1"&&b="2018YTD","5",a="Product1"&&b="2019YTD","8",a="Product1"&&b="% Difference",'Table (2)'[Measure 2],a="Product2"&&b="2018YTD","10",a="Product2"&&b="2019YTD","8",a="Product2"&&b="% Difference",'Table (2)'[Measure 2])

Finally you will see :

Annotation 2020-02-10 123611.png

For the related .pbix file,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I figured out a solution, using some of your response. In the initial table with more detail, I added a measure:

Percent Diff = var c = CALCULATE(
    SUMX(GrowthDetail,
    GrowthDetail[Quantity]),
    FILTER(GrowthDetail,
        GrowthDetail[Revenue Year]=GrowthDetail[Current Year]
        && GrowthDetail[Billing Effective Date].[Date] <= GrowthDetail[Current YTD].[Date]))
var p = CALCULATE(
    SUMX(GrowthDetail,
    GrowthDetail[Quantity]),
    FILTER(GrowthDetail,
        GrowthDetail[Revenue Year]=GrowthDetail[Current Year]-1
        && GrowthDetail[Billing Effective Date].[Date] <= GrowthDetail[Prior YTD].[Date]))
  Return
  IF(p=0,IF(c=0,0,1),c/p-1)    

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the response. In your example, is it dynamic for drilldowns? I have a slicer. If I select to just see North America, will it automatically adjust?

Hi @Anonymous ,

Measure is dynamic calculation,it can be changed by your selection.So have you worked out your problem?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I solved it. I'm new to BI and hadn't yet used measures. Your response put my on the right path. Thanks!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

In this case, you need to have YTD, prior YTD and change % as columns. You can use Time Intelligence

YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(('Date'[Date]),"12/31"))
Last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year),"12/31"))
Last YTD complete Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(ENDOFYEAR(dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year)),"12/31"))
Last to last YTD Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESYTD(dateadd('Date'[Date],-2,Year),"12/31"))
Year behind Sales = CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Sales Amount]),dateadd('Date'[Date],-1,Year))

Change % = ([YTD Sales]/[Last YTD Sales])-1

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s.

Refer
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions
https://www.archerpoint.com/blog/Posts/creating-date-table-power-bi

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/creating-a-simple-date-table-in-dax/

Appreciate your Kudos. In case, this is the solution you are looking for, mark it as the Solution.
In case it does not help, please provide additional information and mark me with @

Thanks. My Recent Blogs -Decoding Direct Query - Time Intelligence, Winner Coloring on MAP, HR Analytics, Power BI Working with Non-Standard TimeAnd Comparing Data Across Date Ranges
Connect on Linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for the help. I am not exactly doing YTD, but as of prior month end. So I adjusted to use DATESBETWEEN instead of DATESYTD. Below is my formula:

YTD_Quantity = CALCULATE(SUM(GrowthDetail[Quantity]),DATESBETWEEN(GrowthDetail[Billing Effective Date].[Date],GrowthDetail[Begin_Cur_Year],GrowthDetail[Cur_YTD]))

This works just fine. However, when I try to do the same thing for prior year, I get a circular reference. Below is the formula:

Prior_YTD_Quantity = CALCULATE(SUM(GrowthDetail[Quantity]),DATESBETWEEN(GrowthDetail[Billing Effective Date].[Date],GrowthDetail[Begin_Prior_Year],GrowthDetail[Prior_YTD]))

Even when I simply copy the first formula and change the column name, I receive the same error. It reads: "A circular dependency was detected: GrowthDetail[Prior_YTD_Quantity],GrowthDetail[YTD_Quantity],GrowthDetail[Prior_YTD_Quantity]."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors