Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Reno_35
Frequent Visitor

Matrix : Ordering column when NO rows

hello all,

i feel so stupid but i can't find any answers to my simple problem.

i have a very simple matrix where i only use measures and columns.

for the measures, i picked the option "values => show on rows"

here is the result : 

powerbimatrixissue1.pngfrom there, i just would like to sort my columns, and i just can't.

if i add a field in the rows... the my columns are properly sorted the way i want :

powerbimatrixissue2.png

but if i remove the rows data, the matrix sorts the columns by the results.

please help 🙂 

thank you all for your attention

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I don't think you've done anything wrong here, I think you may have found an issue in the matrix visual in that once you have assigned a sort order based on one of the measures there is no way to turn off that measure based sorting. One work around that worked for me was to remove the measure that was being sorted and then re-add it.

So in your case if you remove the [Search Result Views] measure from the matrix you should see the months go back to their alpha-numeric order, then you can add the [Search Result Views] measure back.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I don't think you've done anything wrong here, I think you may have found an issue in the matrix visual in that once you have assigned a sort order based on one of the measures there is no way to turn off that measure based sorting. One work around that worked for me was to remove the measure that was being sorted and then re-add it.

So in your case if you remove the [Search Result Views] measure from the matrix you should see the months go back to their alpha-numeric order, then you can add the [Search Result Views] measure back.

d_gosbell,

Thank you for the tip ! it worked perfectly 🙂 i never would have thought about that i was stuck ahah

the matrix visual should include a clear "sort by column" option.

thanks a million again for the trick !!

@Reno_35 wrote:

the matrix visual should include a clear "sort by column" option.

Yes, we should not have to resort to "tricks" - I found this idea https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/37359649-reset-sorting-on-visuals on ideas.powerbi.com about adding a feature to allow for resetting the sorting on a visual, but it currently only has 2 votes.

i will go vote for this one 🙂

cheers and regards from sunny Tenerife !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.