Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix - Every Row a different color (NOT Alternating colors) - No numbers, only text in matrix

Hello! This is my first post! I am trying to have a Matrix show a different color for every row. I am able to get to alternating color rows, but would like to have a different color per row. I understand conditional formatting might work for this, but since I don't have any numbers in my matrix, not sure how to do this with only text.  I wasn't able to attach my dataset, but added an image of it below. Also, I included a screen shot of what I'm hoping to accomplish (dummy matrix using Excel with colors) and the matrix I built in Power BI. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!

sample matrix with color.JPGsample matrix in power bi without color.JPGdataset.JPG

2 REPLIES 2
claymcooper
Resolver II
Resolver II

Create a condtional column for your color. Red = 1, Blue = 2 etc. Then use that to conditionally format the values.

claymcooper_0-1663096419078.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, @claymcooper! I played around with this, but don't think this will work for my situation. Your example has the conditional formatting based on the values, and that won't work in this case. In my real life data, the names are not distinct, and some names could fall under multiple colors. I need a way to have the entire row formatted, including the header of the row, and the formatting needs to be based on the header, not the values. Any idea how to get that to work? Maybe your way does work in that case, but in my real life data, the values can change at any given date, and I need the new values to automatically change color dynamically. The headers of the rows will never change, but the values can and will. Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.