Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcolb88
Helper III
Helper III

Matrix Conditional Formatting Does Not Apply to Row Subtotals and Totals

I have a matrix that I added a measure that creates a UniCode character as an indicator shape and another measure that determines the indicator index values (0-5) under the current filter context. I an using the color by rule conditional formatting using another column (as recently available in PBI) to color the indicator shape. It works on the lowest level displayed rows but not on the summarized subtotal or grand total rows.

As you can see below, drilled dwon one level, the formatting applies to Services, but not Income.

Conditional Formatting Level 1.png

Then drilling down another level, Ohthe, Basic Exam, etc has the formatting, but the subtotals of Income and now Services do not. The correct value at the subtotal level to perform the conditional foirmatting is correct, but it jusdt not applied. 

Conditional Formatting Level 2.png

Is there a setting for applying on subtotals and totals or is this a possibly a bug, not yet implented extension of the functionality?  Please tell me not by design 🙂

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcolb88 

Unfortunately, the conditional formatting does not apply for the subtotal and total in current release desktop. Here is a similar idea, you could click to vote it up:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17401381-conditional-formatting-f...

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

MEGHS
Frequent Visitor

Basic feature, and missing. So need it!

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcolb88 

Unfortunately, the conditional formatting does not apply for the subtotal and total in current release desktop. Here is a similar idea, you could click to vote it up:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/17401381-conditional-formatting-f...

Best Regards

Maggie

This should not be marked "Resolved" if the answer is "it doesn't do that."

Hello, 

Actually, as of now, it works - you just need to select "Apply to" and then pick desired area for Conditional Formatting.

Matrix Conditional Formatting Does Not Apply to Row Subtotals and Totals.jpg

Thanks!

Thank you so much!

Thank you! I had the option right in from of my face but I didn't see it until you pointed it out 😅

Hi, Even if after assigning Values and Totals, it still not getting assigned to Totals and Sub-totals but only Values. Let me know if this is still the case because I am  struggling with the same.

Hi @v-juanli-msft!

Any updates on this? I know there are no updates mentioned on the idea but I may be missing afeature on one of the releases or something like that.

Kind regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-juanli-msft  : This is definately needed can you please bring attention to product team

Common Excel and BI features are missing all over PowerBI.  For as much as MS is pushing PBI they are doing very little to enhance it.  

Tableua (and other BI tools) will be their downfall.  

#somuchfortheopower

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmarcowka : yes these days even monthly updates are very few and helpless with the Product team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.