Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Matrix Column Width keeps changing with different Filters

Hi all,

I usually would not open a thread for this, but I am really confused about why this keeps happening and my search results about "matrix fixed column width changes when changing data" is getting mixed with results about constant column width...

so anyways, I have a Matrix Visual and I simply want to assign each column a width that does not change under any circumstances. I already deactivated "Auto-size column width" under "Column headers", activated word wrap and dragged the column borders around to have it nice fitting, but when I change the context (via slicer) to another quarter the columns get all messed up and change to some random width. I can then drag them around once again, fit them and when I later come back to the selected quarter it stays the same as it was earlier, but I would need to manually adjust the widths of all columns for all quarters past and to come. I´m thinking this cannot be the end of wisdom, why would I need to adjust the column widths every time the same matrix just displays data from a different context.
Am I missing something or is this just another case of simple functionality which PBI has just not implemented.

Thank you all in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

after some further tinkering, I realised that I still had the quarters as columns in the matrix, which was no longer needed, as I now want to show the data of only one quarter. after removing the field from the columns, it worked out as it should.
my interpretation is, that the columns for each value within a sector of a value defined to be used as columns really can be set to a fixed size, but that when changing the filter I was switching through different sectors (and ever only showing one at a time), which for themselves were having a fixed column width. The problem was just that I had multiple sectors, which I wasn´t realizing, and which caused the column widths to change whenever switching to another sector.
I hope this is comprehensible and helps somebody with the same niche problem!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

after some further tinkering, I realised that I still had the quarters as columns in the matrix, which was no longer needed, as I now want to show the data of only one quarter. after removing the field from the columns, it worked out as it should.
my interpretation is, that the columns for each value within a sector of a value defined to be used as columns really can be set to a fixed size, but that when changing the filter I was switching through different sectors (and ever only showing one at a time), which for themselves were having a fixed column width. The problem was just that I had multiple sectors, which I wasn´t realizing, and which caused the column widths to change whenever switching to another sector.
I hope this is comprehensible and helps somebody with the same niche problem!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Neither Power BI Desktop nor Power BI service give any rendering guarantee. The guidance is to make cells 10% larger than needed.

If you want pixel perfect rendering then paginated reports is your only option.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors