Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tbobolz
Resolver I
Resolver I

Matrix - Calc the % in a column, off that of another column's single row item - Thanks

I have a simple matrix, it lists insurance payor groups in the rows. (Commercail, Medicare, Self Pay, etc..., all in the data field titled "Financial Class Rollup") then a 2nd rows field for actual payer. (So when expanded, the Commercail row will expand to Blue Cross, Aetna, Farmers, etc. form a data field titled "Insurance Description")

In the columns I have data fields: "Charge", "Payment Amount" and "Realization Rate" as a measurement (Payment Amount/Charges).

I have been struggling with creating another mesurement percentage column called "% of Medicare". This field would take the above calculated percent from each row (expanded or not) of the realization rate column and divide it by ONLY the "Medicare" pecentage of the same realization rate column. 

I thought i had it with this formula, but it fails on drill down. 

% of MCR (Sole) = [Realization Rate]/CALCULATE(sum('Realization Rates'[Payment Amount])/sum('Realization Rates'[Charge]), 'Realization Rates'[Insurance Plan 1 - Financial Class Rollup]="Medicare")

I have added a sample file with sample data. The measurement "% of MCR (Sole)" does exactly what I would like it do do, except when I expand down one hierarchy. I'm not skilled enough at DAX to write this.

Sample pbix 

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Terry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tbobolz here is your revised measure

% of MCR (Sole) = 
DIVIDE ( 
    [Realization Rate],
    CALCULATE ( 
        [Realization Rate],
        ALLSELECTED(), 
        'Realization Rates'[Insurance Plan 1 - Financial Class Rollup] = "Medicare"
    )
)

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tbobolz here is your revised measure

% of MCR (Sole) = 
DIVIDE ( 
    [Realization Rate],
    CALCULATE ( 
        [Realization Rate],
        ALLSELECTED(), 
        'Realization Rates'[Insurance Plan 1 - Financial Class Rollup] = "Medicare"
    )
)

Check my latest blog post Year-2020, Pandemic, Power BI and Beyond to get a summary of my favourite Power BI feature releases in 2020

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

How does one give Kudos? 

Thank you! I was playin gwith the divide command, but did not get it correct.

Much appreciated.

Terry

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tbobolz is this what you are expecting?

image.png

Yes, i believe that is it!

Great, excited to learn.

Terry

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@tbobolz it will easier if you paste the sample data with the expected output. Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Thanks Parry, I have added a sample file with sample data. The measurement "% of MCR (Sole)" does exactly what I would like it do do, except when I expand down one hierarchy. I'm not skilled enough at DAX to write this.

Sample pbix 

Thanks agian.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.