Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TabathaN
Advocate II
Advocate II

Matrix Auto-Size Not Working Correctly

I cannot share my file due to privacy issues so hopefully all of these screenshots will be helpful.

Example #1

There are no visual or page level filters set, no slicers and the column auto-size is set to "On". From this veiw everything looks like it's working correctly, especially since the number of characters in the total row are greater than the ones of the column header.auto-size example #1.jpg

Example #2

I have added one page level filter to example #1 and the column auto-size remains "On". You can see here that the auto-sizing breaks and does not format the May column correctly.

auto-size example #2.jpg

Example #3

Adding additional selections to the page level filter still provides the same result as example #2auto-size example #3.jpg

Example #4

Clearing the page level filter and using a visual level filter provides the same resultauto-size example #4.jpg

Example #5

Clearing page and visual level filters and using slicers also results in the same outcome.auto-size example #5.jpg

I have searched in the fourm for answers to this and have looked at any possible formatting selection I could make to correct this (I'm still new to PBI so that doesn't mean a whole lot lol) but I cannot figure it out.

Does anyone know how to fix this? It seems as though it's the filters causing the issue...?

Supplementary Information:

The value column is a count of the "parent appointment ID" which is a numerical (whole) number.

I have had this happen on more than one occassion in more than one page.

My desktop PBI is current - Version: 2.65.5313.841 64-bit (December 2018)

If I manually adjust the May column and go up or down a level the column will revert back to the wrong format where the total does not fit as seen in examples 2-5

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Have you tried turning the auto-sizing to off? Then manually set your column widths to their maximum expected size. Not great necessarily but I think that should work.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler

I have but unfortunatley the numbers can vary so much from level to level depending on what filters are in place that I don't feel like this is an adequate solution 😞

I really feel like this is some type of bug but was hoping there was an easy answer out there that would solve the auto-sizing issue so I won't have to make these chages all the time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.